Spokane Create! Forums
My 3D Printers - Printable Version

+- Spokane Create! Forums (http://forum.spokanecreate.org)
+-- Forum: Spokane Create! (http://forum.spokanecreate.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Projects (http://forum.spokanecreate.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: My 3D Printers (/showthread.php?tid=216)

My 3D Printers - Kyo - 01-10-2015

Hello All,
I forgot I had a acct. here. Smile Well it has been about a year since my introduction post. I did not get nearly as many projects done as I would have liked. However I did purchase a kit and Build my First 3D Printer!! A Makerfarm I3V 10"

[Image: DSCN3448-1024x768.jpg]

It has been assembled and in use for a while now. I will try and organize my photos and post them up. Smile The Makerfarm has been good to me, However I would most likely not buy a wood frame based printer again. I have the source Files for the 10" I3V so at some point I may rebuild it with a Acrylic Frame.

Now on to current Projects, I am starting to design my own 3D Printer ( not yet named lol ). My new printer will be of Solid Metal construction. No (or Minimal ) 3D Printed parts and No wood. Not sure How I am going to build it as of yet due to the fact I do not have a cnc router or mill to make the parts. But I shall cross that bridge when I get there.

It will be running Lead Screws and Aluminum Linear Rail. I am building this printer around a 8x8x8 Build Volume. I have also included a 10x10x8 and 12x12x12 build volumes within the design needing very little changed between sizes. It could go larger as well but at that point I would look into a different lead screw assembly.

It functions very similarly to your basic Prusa ( Such as my makerfarm 10″ I3V and should keep my electronics and software simple ) but with no belts and better accuracy and rigidity, It should be a better printer all around.

Here is a photo of the Printer so far. I have not decided on a hotend mount setup yet. Tho I did leave enough room for dual extruders and the E3D V6 Bowden setup has been decided on.

I am thinking of running this printer with the Beaglebone Black with the Replicape and Manga Screen(when available). Just to try something new. However will most likely start with a Ramps setup to get going.

[Image: Solid-8x8x8-All-Metal-Lead-Screw-3D-Pritner-700x393.png]

RE: My 3D Printers - ABearden - 01-12-2015

Nice! I setup the MakerFarm i3v 12" last month. It's been great, and once I dialed it in the prints were nice. Only real problem I've had were the homing switches, which I traded out for roller switches from Radioshack (more reliable). Why would you avoid a wood frame in the future? What problems did you have? FYI, acrylic frames have a nasty reputation of cracking after not-too-long.

What's the speed penalty for using lead screws? The MakerFarm only uses them on the z-axis where there's little-to-no speed penalty since you're only moving 0.1-0.5mm/layer, but I can't imagine the lead screws can keep up with a belt on the x and y axes. What time difference are you expecting for prints?

RE: My 3D Printers - Kyo - 01-12-2015

My problems with the wood frame are more of my own making then by design. And should not reflect poorly on makerfarms kit, They put out a nice piece of hardware and Colin has been very helpful with my build even replacing a faulty lcd I had.

I did not consider cracking of the acrylic, thanks for that. I will have to keep that in mind if I decided to replace my frame.
I stained my build as I did not like the look of raw ply. However I dragged it out over a few different days with different humidity's. This resulted in a few of my panels having a small amount of twist in them.

Once dialed in It has been very good to me and puts out some greats prints. (1.75mm Hexagon ABS)
[Image: IMG_20141003_110747_159-1024x768.jpg]

One thing I also did was to print and install a Belt guide as my belt was rubbing the ply and causing it to wear out. this was my first print and has been working out great..
[Image: IMG_20140930_224259_434-1024x768.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140930_224500_953-768x1024.jpg]

However the results of the twisted panels are evident in all my prints. The twist in the side panel shows on the print when the Z axis is going up it gets shifted to one side and leaves a jagged trace in the print as it goes up and passes over the twist. It does not effect shorter or smaller prints that stay below the twist in the panel.

I do expect some slowing down of prints with a lead screw only build. Rigidity and accuracy are my primary goals with the new printer and I am willing to take a hit on machine speed.

I have not done the math to find out max speed yet, I have chosen a screw with the following specs. 4 Start 2mm Pitch and 8mm Lead
However If I can find the proper acme tap ( TR8x20 I believe ). I will go with a 20mm Pitch Screw.

This guy also uses the same 20mm Pitch lead screws in his build. To give you a idea on speed.

RE: My 3D Printers - ABearden - 01-12-2015

Enclosure? Those look awesome. I haven't started in on my ABS spools yet because I don't want to stink my wife out of the living room. I printed a carbon filter fan vent, just need to get off my butt and build the enclosure. And I hadn't thought about a belt guide, thanks!

That moves a lot fast than I would have thought. Not that I should be building another machine right now, but I do have spare MakerSlide from my ShapeOko upgrade.... heh.

RE: My 3D Printers - Kyo - 01-16-2015

Thank you, No enclosure as of yet. I do have a project planed to build one mostly to direct fumes out a window. Smile I try my best to stay out of the room when printing ABS (drives my nose crazzy lol ) but there is also a certain amount of eye watching that needs to be done on prints. It should also help with some of the warping I have gotten with the abs as I can control the enclosure temp.

I want to start trying PLA and other filaments soon to, Have only used ABS so far.

How do you like the Shapeoko? I have been researching smaller desktop cnc machines to help make my patterns for Aluminum Casting.

I purchased the Momus CNC V2 Plans pdf book a while back with intentions to build but have also considered the Shapeoko. No decision has been made as of yet.

RE: My 3D Printers - ABearden - 01-16-2015

PLA is great, but for awesome prints you need an active cooling system. You can print the shroud and add a 40mm fan for an i3v. The RAMBo board has a hookup to control it in software too.

The ShapeOko is a neat little machine. Does light-duty desktop routing very well and works with tons of software so you have a wide selection of toolchains. Just be prepared to do some upgrades for it to be really useful. At a minimum, I would suggest a better spindle (preferably a router, I went with a Makita), homing switches, and a fan for the GRBL board (preferably with heatsinks on the chips). I recently expanded mine to 1m x 1m so I can work with larger pieces. Just be prepared to spend the time to tweak and adjust the machine so it's more accurate. They're also releasing the SO3 next month. It's a bit more expensive and involved, but supposedly aiming for medium duty routing.

RE: My 3D Printers - Kyo - 03-01-2015

I am getting closer to finalizing my next 3d printer. It officially has a name now "Adamantine" I still have to figure out how I am going to get all the aluminum plate cut out as I do not have a cnc router to do it myself. Also looking for folks who are familiar with Openbuild's line of V-slot linear rail and V-Wheels and are more skilled with cad / sketchup then I to double check my file for hole spacing / positioning / Dimensions and tolerances..

As this is the most complex project I have completed in Sketchup so far I am sure I have something off or forgotten a few things and I want to correct any errors before getting my V-slot and aluminum plate cut..

I also welcome input on the hotend mount and the X carriage in general. Not 100% happy with that yet. I will be using a e3d v6 hotend.

This printer will use solid V-Wheels. 20x60 V-slot and 20x40 V-slot and 1/4 and 3/8 aluminum plate. No belts all axis will run on the OB lead screws Speed is not a concern with this printer as it is intended for accurate smaller prints. With only the classic 8x8x8 build volume.

Here are some updated pics.

[Image: Adamantine-1024x474.png]

[Image: Adamantine-2-1024x484.png]

[Image: Adamantine-4-1024x475.png]