Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spokane Create Delta Printer
03-03-2015, 01:03 AM,
Spokane Create Delta Printer
We sorta have a printer for the space, but it's an older RepRap in disrepair with a burnt out hot end and a warped build plate. We could repair it, but it we'd end up with something slow, old, and not very impressive anymore; not to mention the small build envelope. After seeing Colby's Chinese Kossel clone delta (seriously, if you haven't seen it you should check it out next time he comes in; it's AMAZING), Dan and I realized it would be awesome to have a delta for the space and for marketing, because who doesn't think delta printers look cool?

Last week we confirmed the RepRap is still operational. It moved, verified hot end temp, and generally looks feasible. I just ordered the JHead hotend, complete with heater and thermistor. I grabbed one with a 0.4mm nozzle for 1.75mm filament, but if you guys decide we need even more speed over detail it's not difficult to swap out to a larger nozzle or even larger filament. Not sure if most people will be printing functional parts (robots and quads and machines, oh my!) or pretty desk pieces. Stock, it will handle PLA and ABS. If we decide we want to go fancy with something like Nylon, we'll need a different hotend.

The plan so far:
  • Reuse the old RepRap RAMPS board, reprogram it with something like the Rostock delta firmware (Marlin base)
  • Print and CNC what we need for plates/joints/brackets to build a new frame
  • Configure it for the new dimensions
  • Bowden tube extruder setup will allow for much higher carriage speeds. This will be very important for completing prints within the typical weekly 3 hour meet.
  • Traxxis graphite rods to further reduce carriage weight.

If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them.
03-03-2015, 06:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015, 07:44 AM by ctcollins9.)
RE: Spokane Create Delta Printer
I can give you my preconfigured firmware for the printer that came with mine, just to make it easier, and you can change the parameters to adjust them to the specs of the machine you are building.

Here is the firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6t4sm836w2xwab...n.rar?dl=0

Everything in this firmware is set up to use with a delta. Hope this helps you guys. I ordered a new hotend but is is from China, I ordered it because it was only about $10, this one I will not screw up (hopefully) but I'd also be willing to print out some of the parts you need for the printer if someone supplied the filament.
03-03-2015, 10:41 AM,
Did you decide the size we want to build it Smile
I will bring my 4 - 4' linear rods and bearings tomorrow
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
03-03-2015, 10:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015, 10:51 AM by ABearden.)
(03-03-2015, 06:57 AM)ctcollins9 Wrote: I can give you my preconfigured firmware for the printer that came with mine, just to make it easier, and you can change the parameters to adjust them to the specs of the machine you are building.

Here is the firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6t4sm836w2xwab...n.rar?dl=0

Everything in this firmware is set up to use with a delta. Hope this helps you guys. I ordered a new hotend but is is from China, I ordered it because it was only about $10, this one I will not screw up (hopefully) but I'd also be willing to print out some of the parts you need for the printer if someone supplied the filament.

Thanks! I'll check the firmware out. On the RepRapWiki the Rostock firmware is said to have lots of upgrades in it, but I'll have to compare them. Either is going to take custom config.

$10 hotend would scare me just a little bit. The JHead I ordered is obviously a Chinese clone at $35, but they seem to have a decent reputation if setup right. I'd love to grab another Hexagon or a E3Dv6 as they handle nearly every material because they're all-metal, but those are on the pricey side. Maybe once it's running and needs an upgrade (unless we decide we need a Chimera, or even a Kraken! Big Grin ).

Thanks for the offer to help! What's yours run? 1.75mm? Will it do PLA and ABS? I've got a fair amount of both in my filament chest. Not sure what frame we're going for yet as we've got to see what we've got in parts (linear bearings and the like) laying around. It might end up being completely custom to utilize available parts and keep cost down (yay 3D printing!).

(03-03-2015, 10:41 AM)Dan Wrote: Did you decide the size we want to build it Smile
I will bring my 4 - 4' linear rods and bearings tomorrow

I was waiting to evaluate materials on-hand. Part of the problem is the frame rails need some way to prevent twisting, so we can't just toss a single rod on each corner. Though, combining the linear rods and bearings you have as a drive rail, with the 3/4" aluminum rods at the space as a bracing rail, we could make a 4' tall frame. With the 18" traxxis rods I saw online, that's roughly a 14-16" diameter build envelope. We'd never have time to print something that large (max volume would be something like 14" x 36" and take days to print). Unless we doubled up on the belting or went with threaded rods, there would probably be a fair amount of stretch over 8' of belt at each corner.
03-03-2015, 11:47 AM,
I have a few pieces / parts left over from projects also if you need any. This thread has some photos and descriptions:

http://forum.spokanecreate.org/showthread.php?tid=115
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad

03-03-2015, 12:56 PM,
(03-03-2015, 11:47 AM)IdeaMakers Wrote: I have a few pieces / parts left over from projects also if you need any. This thread has some photos and descriptions:

http://forum.spokanecreate.org/showthread.php?tid=115

Thanks! I think most of that might be serious overkill for what we have in mind. The stand-alone controller might be handy for version 2.0, but we'll see where we end up first.
03-03-2015, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2015, 04:47 PM by ctcollins9.)
Abearden, my printer runs 1.75mm filament, and I don't know if I can use ABS, because I don't have a heated bed, but I can obviously do PLA just fine. The hotend I ordered from China for $10, I don't have any money to buy the $30 one I had before, but it is the exact same hotend, and it'll probably be about 3 weeks till get it, but I am more than willing to print out the parts on my machine. I am probably not going to be back at Spokane Create till I get my hotend.

Edit: here is where I ordered a new hotend: http://m.aliexpress.com/item/2041826923.html
03-04-2015, 07:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2015, 07:02 PM by ctcollins9.)
I seen this on the makerfarm webpage: http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/hot-e...t-end.html it is the magma All-Metal hotend supposedly regularly $70 on sale for $29 but they only have it in the 3mm filament option.
03-04-2015, 11:10 PM,
(03-04-2015, 07:01 PM)ctcollins9 Wrote: I seen this on the makerfarm webpage: http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/hot-e...t-end.html it is the magma All-Metal hotend supposedly regularly $70 on sale for $29 but they only have it in the 3mm filament option.

Trinity Labs (makers of the Magma) are no longer in business, thus the sale. But good find on an all-metal hotend! Unfortunately, the JHead order is already in (should be here next Wednesday).

Tonight went well, Dan and I discussed the frame. We're thinking we'll go with the full 4' rods, with 6" on either end dedicated to mounting them to the platforms. Should give us a nice build envelope, but not allow too much twisting of the frame. Then the real question came up...12" or 18" carriage rods? We've got a couple of design tradeoffs to make. Do we want to be able to make larger pieces? Do we want speed? Do we want accuracy?

18" carriage arms with a 20.75" edge leads to a 14.9" diameter build circle (23.9" max build height, for 4167 cu in total build volume).

12" carriage arms with a 13.5" edge leads to a 9.7" diameter build circle (29" max build height, for 2143 cu in total build volume)

The 12" will move faster and be more accurate than the 18" due to reduced momentum and arm flex. We can get around it with a more complex carriage using 3 or 4 arms per tower instead of the normal 2, but that adds weight which adds to belt stretch (less accuracy) and cost (50 or 100% more rods). Would look pretty cool though.

We all know speed is good, but I guess the real question is how much build width do we want? Wide and tall, or narrower and slightly taller? I don't think height will ever be an issue. I just don't see us needing a 2' tall part any time soon that can't be assembled with additional build techniques.
03-05-2015, 07:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2015, 09:05 AM by ctcollins9.)
Yes, wish I could have been there last night, dentist appointment. Sad. Sounds like you guys got a pretty good plan going so far. Honestly, for me, I do not really care that my printer has a small xy build area, because everything I make is mostly just going to be for fun, but I can definitely see you guys needing some extra build space (for example, I would really like to make a case for my phone, but my printer is just a little too small) I am not telling you what to do, but I prefer accuracy over speed, but the then also, like you said earlier, you don't have a lot of time to print on your 3 hour meets.