Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Member to this Forum
11-17-2020, 09:44 AM,
New Member to this Forum
Hello Everyone,

I just discovered your community while searching for local makers. I figured I would introduce myself!
I'm Dan, currently working as a CAD Technician for a structural engineering firm. I went to school for mechanical CAD and I'm pretty good at solid modeling.
I'm not to sure if there's a need, but I'd like to offer my CAD services to the group.
I currently have a fully upgraded Ender 3 with a custom enclosure. Working on programming an arduino to control the ambient temperature and also would like to upgrade to dual extrusion in the future.
I realize the maker space is closed currently, but I look forward to meeting everyone once restrictions loosen!
11-20-2020, 11:11 AM,
RE: New Member to this Forum
Welcome mate, I am fairly new myself to the group but folks here are very nice and I for one am looking forward to the end of all this virus stuff so that can visist the space and meet everyone.
11-20-2020, 11:20 AM,
Thank you and I look forward to meeting in the future. I saw your post. Metal 3D printing would be awesome! I've been looking at just printing in PLA and making a sand mold for casting in aluminum. Have you tried any metal casting? I checked out the Spokane Create facebook page and it looks like they've made a foundry in the past!
11-21-2020, 02:07 AM,
They've made a foundry and tried out some lost-PLA casting. It was a neat project and there were a few people involved so you should be able to get input.
11-22-2020, 10:26 PM,
Welcome in -

I also am kinda new, I joined at the beginning of the year just before the precautionary lockdown started and never really got to become part of the community other than occasional chatter in here.

It'll be cool when we all get to collaborate and share knowledge once the good times are back.
11-23-2020, 09:48 AM,
(11-21-2020, 02:07 AM)ABearden Wrote: They've made a foundry and tried out some lost-PLA casting. It was a neat project and there were a few people involved so you should be able to get input.

That's interesting. Did the PLA disintegrate completely? I've seen people use foam in that manner.
I've been watching a lot of videos on a youtube channel, "myfordboy". He prints in PLA and smooths the part before using it the make the green sand mold.
11-23-2020, 09:51 AM,
(11-22-2020, 10:26 PM)shovel Wrote: Welcome in -  

I also am kinda new,  I joined at the beginning of the year just before the precautionary lockdown started and never really got to become part of the community other than occasional chatter in here.  

It'll be cool when we all get to collaborate and share knowledge once the good times are back.

Hey there! 

Yeah I'm looking forward to the collaboration. Working on projects on my own gets pretty monotonous without any outside input or help.
11-23-2020, 06:36 PM,
(11-23-2020, 09:48 AM)dfosterjr Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 02:07 AM)ABearden Wrote: They've made a foundry and tried out some lost-PLA casting. It was a neat project and there were a few people involved so you should be able to get input.

That's interesting. Did the PLA disintegrate completely? I've seen people use foam in that manner.
I've been watching a lot of videos on a youtube channel, "myfordboy". He prints in PLA and smooths the part before using it the make the green sand mold.

I think they got it to eventually. Seemed to be a matter of building the mold properly so any leftover slag floated to the top. If I remember correctly, they did both plaster and green sand.