Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community Projects
03-15-2013, 07:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM by Justin Bell.)
RE: Community Projects
(02-11-2013, 11:31 AM)Clint Wrote: I think this is a great idea. I don't really know if this fits, but if we could get the community to donate old computers. We could get them up and running with a linux distro and give them to underprivileged children. We could get them started with linux and a programming language like python. Maybe a short class to teach them how to use Bash and show them how to make a simple game with python.

This would get computers into the hands of children that don't have them and get them started with a new interest and skill.

(03-15-2013, 07:07 PM)Justin Bell Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 11:31 AM)Clint Wrote: I think this is a great idea. I don't really know if this fits, but if we could get the community to donate old computers. We could get them up and running with a linux distro and give them to underprivileged children. We could get them started with linux and a programming language like python. Maybe a short class to teach them how to use Bash and show them how to make a simple game with python.

This would get computers into the hands of children that don't have them and get them started with a new interest and skill.

I think this a neat idea- in fact I am doing much of that now- and I have a basement full of beat up, old, hand-me-down computers, monitors, etc. Some of these are dinosaurs, and some are beyond repair and become parts for the next computer.

I am learning computer repair and fix up a many of these old computers. I try to keep them in windows format, but there are many times I find it necessary to switch over to Linux (Ubuntu)- to reduce cost avoid licensing issues, etc. Linux, is at times, just simpler to work with.

Many of these computers will end up with disadvantaged people taking CAD/CAM classes with the Veterans Garage or the Central United Methodist on 3rd Street.

I have not yet donated any computers to children, but I am willing to exchange parts or knowledge with other people passing on the computers to the needy.

To many I am student, for a few I am a teacher.

Justin

Messages In This Thread
Community Projects - by n8cutler - 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM
RE: Community Projects - by Clint - 02-11-2013, 11:31 AM
RE: Community Projects - by Justin Bell - 03-15-2013, 07:07 PM
RE: Community Projects - by tupperck - 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM