Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
functions of a spokane-based make-space?
02-25-2013, 03:27 PM,
Rainbow  functions of a spokane-based make-space?
Seems like the question floated around a bit at the meeting this past Sunday - I don't remember hearing many different answers. The ones I do remember, followed by some I've thought would be neat:

- a place for members to come to use tools they can't afford to own (space-, $-, or spouse-wise)

- a place to come hang out, collaborate, and cross-pollinate

- a tool lending library, for projects that can't be brought to the make space (concrete saw, chainsaw come to mind) - lots of places have these already (Berkeley's is integrated with their regular public library), but so far I haven't seen one combined with a dedicated make-space. seems a natural fit, if logistics could be worked out. I, for one, would love to have occasional use of a portable bandsaw-mill (for making trees into lumber)

- cottage economy community - find a product we can make competitively, or something new and different, and offer piecework opportunities to members.some people don't need or want a regular job, and are happier doing different things all the time. well, I'm speaking for myself here, but extrapolating - I enjoy not having a job so much, I have to assume there are lots of people like me, who would rather be broke most of the time but have the freedom to do whatever I (we?) want, without fear of failure. I would love to be able to come help with someone's project, making 10 or 1000 of something, get paid a little for it, and feed proceeds into the communal workshop

what have you thought of?

Messages In This Thread
functions of a spokane-based make-space? - by david tremaine - 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM