Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For Cad Software
09-27-2018, 05:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2018, 05:34 PM by david tremaine.)
RE: Looking For Cad Software
Free, easy to use: 123D Design, by Autodesk. Problem with this one is that Autodesk discontinued it this year; I don't think you can download it from their website. First google result for a downloadable copy looks okay, but I've never heard of the host site, so I'd check to make sure they've got a clean record before I installed something from them: https://autodesk-123d-design.en.lo4d.com/
Also noteworthy: this program has a hard time (at least, on my old laptop) handling complex models with, say, hundreds of lines.
[url=https://autodesk-123d-design.en.lo4d.com/][/url]

Free, somewhat less easy to use, much more powerful and versatile: Fusion 360, also by Autodesk. If you choose a non-commercial license on installation, it's totally free, no limitations, no strings attached. It is a bit of a hybrid - mostly runs local, but stores your files in the cloud, and won't run without internet access. Autodesk has a series of short, easy-to-understand videos on the basics in the program, high quality instructional material. I've got maybe five hours experience with this program now. I feel pretty competent on the basics, and am excited to learn the more complex functions it offers. Highly recommended.

I use Windows to run these. Not sure if you'll be able to find a Mac-compatible copy of 123D Design. Fusion, though, no problem.

Some people, as I understand, use Sketchup or Tinkercad for easy 3d modeling. Both of those run on the cloud now, I believe.

My two cents Smile
- David

Messages In This Thread
Looking For Cad Software - by grimreaper1214 - 09-27-2018, 05:01 PM
RE: Looking For Cad Software - by david tremaine - 09-27-2018, 05:33 PM
RE: Looking For Cad Software - by ABearden - 09-27-2018, 06:58 PM
RE: Looking For Cad Software - by IdeaMakers - 09-28-2018, 02:52 PM
RE: Looking For Cad Software - by RayStoner - 09-30-2018, 06:44 AM