Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quarantine Project: Garden Tower
07-08-2020, 12:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2020, 12:39 PM by IdeaMakers.)
Wink  Quarantine Project: Garden Tower
Hey all, been awhile since the last meeting so I was wondering what projects people are working on. Here's my garden project.

The Garden Tower

[Image: Untitled-3.png]

Basically just a 5 inch square by 8 foot vinyl fence post that I cut 2 dozen half circles in. Would have been a lot easier on the 8 foot CNC table. Then using a heat gun and a wine bottle ( Tongue ) I shaped the openings so a 3 inch basket would sit at an angle.

[Image: Untitled-1.png]

We started the lettuce in a tray for about a week and these have been in the tower for two weeks so three weeks old.

[Image: Untitled-2.png]

The fun part is of course a solar powered pump. The 12 volt pump pushes water up a tube inside of the post which drains down the inside of the post into the 5 gallon bucket, Aquaponics. I mounted a 40 watt solar panel in a spot where it gets the most sunlight in our shady backyard (7 am - 4pm). Then ran the power to a 12 volt regulator (seen mounted to the siding in a plastic box) and on to the pump. Pretty happy with it so far and the 2 gallon per minute pump can probably run water for 3 of these towers or six dozen pots.

Hope everyone is doing well, John
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad

Messages In This Thread
Quarantine Project: Garden Tower - by IdeaMakers - 07-08-2020, 12:37 PM
RE: Quarantine Project: Garden Tower - by shovel - 09-16-2020, 07:23 AM