Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DoorServer
07-13-2013, 12:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2013, 01:08 PM by davidf.)
DoorServer
At our last meeting we installed an electronic door latch and Nathan tested unlocking the latch with an Arduino and a relay.

Last night I decided to try and take the various parts around the lab and make a wireless entry system. This is what I came up with.

I used the webduino library to set up a simple web server on the Arduino. The Arduino is connected to a Cisco wireless router. To enter the building, a person simply needs to connect to the router on their phone, go to the webpage of the device, and enter a code, at which point the Arduino will unlock the door for 5 seconds.

Admittedly, this is a pretty round-about way to get into the building, but serves as a proof of concept.

I also looked into adding encryption to make this system secure against packet sniffing, but I believe it may be too memory intensive for the Arduino in the current configuration because it would have to serve up the Javascript code enabling client-side encryption/hashing of the password, as well as server-side decryption. There are a number of Arduino libraries available for encryption (see SipHash, AVR-Crypto-Lib, etc), but they all would work well only for encryption/decryption on the Arduino. Serving up an entire Javascript encryption library seems like too much work to me.

The next step for this project will be to connect the Arduino into the building network so that a person can connect to the spokanecreate domain to enter the building, rather than having to connect to a wifi network. The goal is to tie the door entry system to our member login / payment system, to make seamless access to the building for building. Putting the login system on the website will also allow SSL / HTTPS for a much more secure entry system.
07-13-2013, 07:05 PM,
RE: DoorServer
Looks awesome David!

Here is some footage from that fateful night Smile

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/oNuU6JkL0J4[/video]
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
07-15-2013, 08:26 AM,
That's awesome guys! good work!
07-15-2013, 12:04 PM,
Kudos!

A thought: aside from the windows being an easy enough way in, what would it take to kick that door in? I'm wondering if we could replace that wooden molding in front of the latch with, say, a 1' x 2" x 1/8" steel plate, bolted to the wall. In other words, (and in the interest of getting to store cool tools here), is there a cheap, easy way to make this door very hard to break?

Also, a reminder / request: not necessarily a counter on the 501c3 donation bar, but just a more or less up to date count?
07-15-2013, 03:21 PM,
(07-15-2013, 12:04 PM)david tremaine Wrote: Also, a reminder / request: not necessarily a counter on the 501c3 donation bar, but just a more or less up to date count?

Thanks for the reminder! it has been added in the header area.
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
07-16-2013, 01:17 PM,
(07-15-2013, 12:04 PM)david tremaine Wrote: Kudos!

A thought: aside from the windows being an easy enough way in, what would it take to kick that door in? I'm wondering if we could replace that wooden molding in front of the latch with, say, a 1' x 2" x 1/8" steel plate, bolted to the wall. In other words, (and in the interest of getting to store cool tools here), is there a cheap, easy way to make this door very hard to break?

We might want to do that, the door feels pretty stiff now but it still is worrying to have only two screws holding that latch into the wooden door frame. Is this something you could come up with David?
07-16-2013, 01:35 PM,
Sure Smile I'll bring some stuff down tomorrow evening, see if we can make any of it work.