Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3D Printer / Mill Project Parts
07-24-2013, 05:22 PM,
3D Printer / Mill Project Parts
Well I've talked about this few times so here's a few photos of parts left over from my CNC build that I'll be happy to donate to Spokane Create for a 3D Printer or Milling Machine for the group. The parts are very robust and could potentially make a pretty hardcore machine. But I'll put it up to the group to decide what the design should be.

3060 Extruded Aluminum
[Image: P1030308.jpg]

These are whoopers, 3x6 inch pieces of extruded aluminum. I have one 36 inch piece and two 24 inch pieces. My thought as to the design was more towards milling machine where the gantry moves rather then the moving table that many printers use. I'd cut the 36 inch piece in half so there would be pieces for the X or Y rails (depending on how you look at it) and then use the 24 inch pieces for uprights. The end pieces can be Aluminum sheet, saw some 1/2" x 4" stripes at Pacific the other day but had already spent to much there.

Linear Slides
[Image: P1030309.jpg]

These are metric linear slides with 20 mm (3/4 inch) hardened steel rods, two rods are 13 inches long and two 5 footers also. There are two large block slides and four of the smaller slides along with mounting hardware.

Various other hardware
[Image: P1030310.jpg]

Thruster washers, helix coupler, mounting blocks, anti backlash nuts and a lone motor mount (nema 23), probably not enough for a complete machine but a very good start. Also a 42 inch length of Acme threaded rod.

Viki LCD Panel
[Image: P1030311.jpg]
[Image: P1030312.jpg]

I'd bought this when I was thinking of purchasing a kickstarter printer but ended up going with a cnc instead. It's a nice panel that can control a printer without using a computer, just plug in a SD card with your files and run. Runs in conjunction with the Azteeg X3 controller board. Here's the link to the website for more info:

http://www.panucatt.com/product_p/vikilcd.htm

So there you have it, in addition I'd be happy to use my CNC to create any parts and we also have the 3d printer in shop already.

Things we would need:
3 stepper motors, fairly robust.

Azteeg X3 controller board, $110
or other controllers, needs to be research as to what size motors can be driven by the Azteeg.

The Hot End or extruder
Various scrap Aluminum for the ends and gantry
Various other pieces for mounting the motors, making the drives and such.

So what do you think Guys / Gals shall we build something?

John
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad

07-26-2013, 08:17 AM,
RE: 3D Printer / Mill Project Parts
It looks like the Azteeg requires a plug-in motor driver for each axis, such as the SureStepr SD8825, current limit 2.5A max voltage 35V. So we would just have to check whether this is adequate for the motors we want to use.

If you come up with an idea of the remaining parts we would need to get this going, you could create a BOM and I would be happy to chip in to buy the stuff.