Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arduino Controlled Solar Tracker
02-08-2013, 07:18 PM,
Arduino Controlled Solar Tracker
One of the projects I've been working on in my spare time is a Arduino controlled solar tracker. A solar tracker is simply a system that will adjust the angle and rotation of a solar array, such that the panels are perpendicular to the sun, giving maximum efficiency.

For the initial concept phase, I'm starting out small scale with servor motors and a small panel. Eventually, I'd like to scale it up so that the system can position some 16"x36" panels.
I'm new to Ardiuino, but not new to programming, so I'm hoping I'll pick it up quickly. Anyone else have experience in this area?

This project needs:
-- Mechanical design and CAD work to design the mechanics of the system
-- People who can fabricate parts if necessary
-- People who are good with electronics for the electrical work.
-- Anyone else interested in participating!

Thoughts, comments or questions?
02-09-2013, 12:18 PM,
RE: Arduino Controlled Solar Tracker
I just picked up an Arduino and Raspberry Pi but have not figured out what to build yet. I would be interested in helping you but I am just getting started with Arduino as well. If you don't mind my inexperience you could count me in to help.
03-06-2013, 06:31 PM,
How are you planning to track the sun? Light intensity-based sensor or just time and season-based?
03-06-2013, 08:20 PM,
(03-06-2013, 06:31 PM)davidf Wrote: How are you planning to track the sun? Light intensity-based sensor or just time and season-based?

Intensity based. My original thought was to do a sweep of the horizon with the panel, and measure the amps (and or voltage) generated by the panel. I would then track back to the point of greatest amperage. Once the panel was locked on, it would then switch to a more time based tracking algorithm, attempting to track at a rate which maximizes current. If it became cloudy or shaded, the panel would go back to a seeking algorithm for a period of time. If it remains cloudy or shaded for a period of time, the panel would track to a idle position and wait for a significant delta in amperage (ie clouds move), which would trigger another sweep to find the best sun.

This of course is how I've planned it out in my head. How this will work in practice is to be discovered. Smile

Pete
04-11-2013, 07:08 PM,
Sounds fun. I'd be interested in helping with this.
04-20-2013, 10:10 AM,
(04-11-2013, 07:08 PM)G1itch Wrote: Sounds fun. I'd be interested in helping with this.

I agree, it sounds like a fun and a great project. I am about to start with Arduino. The Vet's garage will get a CNC (dremmel type) router with Arduino next week and deliver it to the CUMC church on 3rd street. At this point, I may be able to start with Arduino.

Best wishes