Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community Projects
02-10-2013, 10:45 PM,
Community Projects
I think it would be cool to choose a project that could benefit the community. This could also help get our name out, and draw more local interest.

A coworker suggested building something for Mobius Science Center. I (along with 3 friends) have actually built something for them before. I personally wouldn't want to do that for them again. I will spare you the details, but what we were initially asked to do was different than what they wanted from us in the end and all four of us that worked really hard on the project were disappointed in the end.

While it didn't work out how we hoped with Mobius, I like the idea of a project that is community focused. Perhaps we could build something for the city of Spokane. I saw that there is a trial of a new system that you can sign up to be notified via text when there are parking restrictions due to snowplowing in your area of town. While this idea has already been implemented...this is the type of project that would be fairly simple and could help the city, and potentially our group.

Learning exhibits for schools could be a possibility (or even a learning exhibit for our location to draw people in). I think an exhibit that taught about harmonics in waves would be pretty sweet.

Anyone have other ideas for community focused projects?
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"
02-11-2013, 11:31 AM,
RE: Community Projects
I think this is a great idea. I don't really know if this fits, but if we could get the community to donate old computers. We could get them up and running with a linux distro and give them to underprivileged children. We could get them started with linux and a programming language like python. Maybe a short class to teach them how to use Bash and show them how to make a simple game with python.

This would get computers into the hands of children that don't have them and get them started with a new interest and skill.
03-11-2013, 08:50 AM,
Another idea for a community-involvement project is a free repair day. There are actually some groups that have popped up already that are more specifically dedicated to repairs, but I think it might be a cool thing for us to try to get some more community interest once we're a bit more operational. Basically people bring in their busted toaster/stereo/whathaveyou, and we as a group could volunteer repairs for a suggested donation or totally free of charge while letting members of the public see our space and maybe learn a thing or two in the process.

We'd want to be careful doing something like this; obviously there would be a limit to the size and type of things we'd offer to repair, but it might be a cool way to show more of Spokane what we're about.
03-15-2013, 07:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM by Justin Bell.)
(02-11-2013, 11:31 AM)Clint Wrote: I think this is a great idea. I don't really know if this fits, but if we could get the community to donate old computers. We could get them up and running with a linux distro and give them to underprivileged children. We could get them started with linux and a programming language like python. Maybe a short class to teach them how to use Bash and show them how to make a simple game with python.

This would get computers into the hands of children that don't have them and get them started with a new interest and skill.

(03-15-2013, 07:07 PM)Justin Bell Wrote:
(02-11-2013, 11:31 AM)Clint Wrote: I think this is a great idea. I don't really know if this fits, but if we could get the community to donate old computers. We could get them up and running with a linux distro and give them to underprivileged children. We could get them started with linux and a programming language like python. Maybe a short class to teach them how to use Bash and show them how to make a simple game with python.

I think this a neat idea- in fact I am doing much of that now- and I have a basement full of beat up, old, hand-me-down computers, monitors, etc. Some of these are dinosaurs, and some are beyond repair and become parts for the next computer.

I am learning computer repair and fix up a many of these old computers. I try to keep them in windows format, but there are many times I find it necessary to switch over to Linux (Ubuntu)- to reduce cost avoid licensing issues, etc. Linux, is at times, just simpler to work with.

Many of these computers will end up with disadvantaged people taking CAD/CAM classes with the Veterans Garage or the Central United Methodist on 3rd Street.

I have not yet donated any computers to children, but I am willing to exchange parts or knowledge with other people passing on the computers to the needy.

To many I am student, for a few I am a teacher.

Justin