Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi...
10-23-2014, 11:39 PM,
Hi...
Hey, I'm Arthur and I'm a make-a-holic.

Out in CDA, so I probably won't make it out every week but I enjoy a good geek/technical discussion so I'll be out there when I can. From what I heard this week, that's definitely to be had at Spokane Create.

99% of what I do is software. Mostly full-stack Microsoft stuff, but I've dabbled here and there with open source. Did a bunch of hardware, digital circuit, and assembly code many years ago. Really not picky about which realm the skill comes from when it's time to make something; from sewing to soldering I enjoy it. Also an inactive HAM (tech) due to radios still being packed away.

Haven't quite unpacked the electronics yet, either, but as the garage slowly makes progress and I find room to deploy stuff there might be more electrical projects in the future.

Current active projects include:
-Just finished a ShapeOko 2 CNC router build. Still getting the hang of it and dealing with the stock Dremel knockoff spindle, but getting some basic cuts started (like work clamps). Have homing switches and other parts on the way to upgrade it. Already have plans to add a 4th axis for true-3D shapes after watching a video of a guy carving pinion gears for a plastic differential. Might have to get into 3D printing after this.
-Building plastic/metal/leather armor for my wife so she can fight heavy combat with the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism).
-Tennis Ball Crossbow. Also for the wife's heavy armor fighting, but several pieces are highly custom thus a good reason to get the CNC machine. Angel Also sounds like a lot of fun. Found a design from ancient China for a repeating crossbow!
-Semi-active long-term: my truck. Unfortunately dumping money on maintenance right now, but slowly amassing parts to convert it into an offroad roving camp with solar, lights, inverter, bed, radios, running water, etc. Slowly.

Actively attempting to follow through on a few projects instead of half-finishing dozens. We'll see how that goes... Tongue
10-26-2014, 09:27 PM,
RE: Hi...
Arthur,

Welcome to Spokane CREATE! You're in the right spot! ;-) Congrats on the CNC router build, and we look forward to seeing you on the nights when you are able to make it.
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"