Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job opportunity: help kids learn to code and build robots (K-6)
02-21-2015, 04:01 PM,
Brick  Job opportunity: help kids learn to code and build robots (K-6)
Spokane's school district is working to get a variety of tech-related extracurricular activities going in all (38!) of their elementary schools. Right now, they've got Lego Robotics and coding programs going, but I'm told they're looking at offering opportunities to experiment with 3D printing and underwater robotics, too.

Teachers and parents are leading some of the groups that are already up and running, but, what with the usual time constraints that come with being a teacher or parent, the district is having difficulty getting enough group leaders to roll the program out to new schools.

To that end, they are searching for interested applicants who:

- like to work with kids (ages 5-12)
- are at least a little mechanically-minded
- can be available Monday through Thursday before (7:45-8:45) and/or after school (3:00-4:30, 4:30-5:30) < I don't think it's necessary for a person to be available for all of these times - if you can only do one or two reliably, but are passionate about it, don't rule yourself out.>

The positions are open to ages 16 and up. While those interested certainly can volunteer, the district is offering a pretty healthy compensation, with a pay scale as follows:
16+ : $10.00/hr
Adults: $26.45/hr
Mileage between schools can be compensated at ~$.50/mile

The district will be offering summertime programs, too, so the opportunity exists for more-or-less ongoing employment.

If you (or someone you know) are/is interested, PM me or give me a call, and I will give you the program director's (Lisa White, Director of Afterschool Programs, District 81) phone number, rather than posting it here for all the world. I've just started in the program, myself, so I can probably answer a few questions, too...

- David Tremaine / (5O9) 979 for too nein sevn