Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Laser Engraving on My Kossel Clone/ Expanding My Build Area
03-12-2015, 09:32 AM,
RE: Laser Engraving on My Kossel Clone
Yes, you may be correct, and not being able to print as fast as a rocket is not worth giving up for a laser.
03-12-2015, 07:59 PM,
BTW, I have installed blender and sketch up on my laptop for modeling, maybe someone can show me how to use them next time I come.
03-15-2015, 01:19 AM,
you may also wan to take a look at this, http://igg.me/at/minilaser/
03-15-2015, 06:50 AM,
Travis, thank you. I have seen that before, and the only reason I haven't gotten it, is, well, because its $200. And me, being 13, I don't have that kind of money. I see that it is available on Amazon right now though. The reason why I have been looking at the laser that I have linked, is because it would be about <$50.
03-17-2015, 07:04 PM,
Well, I have got my new hot end, printed a few things, and I am so happy with my printer. Really excited to come in this Wednesday.
03-17-2015, 09:45 PM,
(03-17-2015, 07:04 PM)ctcollins9 Wrote: Well, I have got my new hot end, printed a few things, and I am so happy with my printer. Really excited to come in this Wednesday.

Do you have a fan shroud on it for the hotend yet? Might help keep the hotend under control and prevent meltdowns. The Rostock print list has one.
03-18-2015, 06:31 AM,
Right now I have 2 fans, one blowing on the hotend, the other on the print.
03-20-2015, 04:39 AM,
RE: Laser Engraving on My Kossel Clone/ Expanding My Build Area
OK, so I have got 2, things I really wanna do. First, get a laser, but I'd like to put that aside for now, and instead try to expand my XY build area. If I am going to do this, I know I need at least 9 of the t-slot rails in longer dimensions (but do I also need more rails to make the build height taller also for this to work?) And longer traxxas rods. I would like to make it atleast 3 inches longer in printable XY area but If I am going to spend the money to do this, I think is would make sense to expand it maybe 5-6 inches in case I ever needed it. Also, if I were to get longer t-slot rods, how do I know how long my traxxas rods need to be? I have found several places that supply glass, aluminum, or acrylic beds that would fit the printer pretty fine if I expanded it. Thanks.
03-20-2015, 08:07 AM,
Scale them by the same amount. If your horizontal beams scale up by 50%, scale your rods up by 50% as well. Think of the triangle created by your build plate, your tower, and your traxxas rods; you want to keep that triangle roughly the same ratio when you rebuild (it's not required, but it makes it simple). Your towers don't need to change, but longer rods will decrease your build height with the same size towers. Once you've got the new frame, you'll have to reconfigure your firmware as well so it properly calculates your geometry.
03-21-2015, 05:29 PM,
Thanks.