Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enclosure for Running Belt Electronics
06-17-2015, 08:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2015, 08:41 PM by Brendan.)
Enclosure for Running Belt Electronics
Hello All,

I wanted to start a thread on my first project.

I have a running belt I built for my daughter...(and possibly for sale!) It has some electronic components that need to be in an enclosure...a PCB, GPS, Piezo buzzer, etc.

In talking with some of you today, it sounds like 3D printing an enclosure would be the best place to start.

Per Dan's recommendation, I've installed "SketchUp" and I'm starting to learn that program. I have also found a project-box on the Warehouse that looks like nearly a perfect fit...I may need to shrink the dimensions on it a bit.

I think I'll mock up the project box in foam this weekend, make sure I like the dimensions, and then try to finalize the SketchUp file.

I'll post pictures along the way!

Brendan

Since I am looking at 3D printing, I wonder if anybody out there knows SketchUp enough to answer this question:

I have a picture file (I'll try to attach) It's Sgt. Major stripes...when I run with my daughter, I call her the Sgt. Major (because she's so darn tough!)

I'd like to have this on the lid of the project box, but maybe sunken in just a bit...I could then paint it, to really make it pop out.

How do I do this in SketchUp?

Thanks!

Brendan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06-17-2015, 11:17 PM,
RE: Enclosure for Running Belt Electronics
Sounds awesome! And yeah, 3D printing sounds like a good fit. The only thing I would point out is start thinking about print orientation while you're designing it so the layers aren't oriented in a way that weakens the part. Much like wood grain, it'll split fairly easily along the layers.

I think what you're looking for is a subtraction: http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/1004126
Create the Sgt Major stripes, then subtract them from the housing surface.
06-18-2015, 07:54 PM,
(06-17-2015, 11:17 PM)ABearden Wrote: Sounds awesome! And yeah, 3D printing sounds like a good fit. The only thing I would point out is start thinking about print orientation while you're designing it so the layers aren't oriented in a way that weakens the part. Much like wood grain, it'll split fairly easily along the layers.

I think what you're looking for is a subtraction: http://help.sketchup.com/en/article/1004126
Create the Sgt Major stripes, then subtract them from the housing surface.

Thanks ABearden for the advice! I'm going to dig out some foam and mock up an enclosure...from there, I'll have the dimensions I'll need to modify the project box file to fit.

I'll also try that subtraction feature...I think that would be a nice added bonus!

Thanks again for the tips!
06-19-2015, 02:30 PM,
(06-18-2015, 07:54 PM)Brendan Wrote: Thanks ABearden for the advice! I'm going to dig out some foam and mock up an enclosure...from there, I'll have the dimensions I'll need to modify the project box file to fit.

Be sure to post the dimensions, so we can take a crack at it.
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
06-19-2015, 08:54 PM,
I mocked up a couple of boxes...it looks like I can work with a box with the *inner dimensions* of:

(Not my first choice)
Length: 95mm
Width: 50mm
Height: 35mm

OR, with moving the parts around I can probably support:

(Seems a little more compact)
85 x 35 x 35.

I'm looking at the attached box...and the supports for the screw holes consumes some inner dimension space...

So my revised inner dimensions would be:

97 x 35 x 35 OR 85 x 47 x 35. I need to add either length or width to make room for components to slip between the screw supports.

I downloaded the Sketchup file for the box I attached the PDF of...I'll try adjusting its size and posting the file for your review.

Any other thoughts / ideas?

Thanks!

Brendan

Attached Files
.pdf   1590G.pdf (Size: 244.71 KB / Downloads: 3)
06-20-2015, 12:08 AM,
Instead of screw supports, have you entertained mounting components to a board that slides into extrusion and is held in place by 3D printed endcaps? Could hold the whole thing together with a single screw, and body strength wouldn't be an issue at all. I didn't get a chance to look at the prototype you brought in, so it really depends on how you plan on mounting it.
06-20-2015, 08:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2015, 08:26 PM by Brendan.)
Here's what I have so far (attached)...

It's a project box I found in the Sketchup warehouse...I've made it the right width and height...however, it's too long...from inside end-to-end, it's currently 130.1mm....I need it to be 85mm.

I've tried scaling, but that warps the screw-holes (makes them oval vs. round)...I'm thinking I need to create new planes in the middle of the box, and then scale those planes down...(Pulling the middle together, without changing the scaling of the edges (where the screw holes are).

So, that's what I'm trying to figure out currently...it's a start though!

Brendan

(06-20-2015, 12:08 AM)ABearden Wrote: Instead of screw supports, have you entertained mounting components to a board that slides into extrusion and is held in place by 3D printed endcaps? Could hold the whole thing together with a single screw, and body strength wouldn't be an issue at all. I didn't get a chance to look at the prototype you brought in, so it really depends on how you plan on mounting it.

Hi ABearden,

The project PCB can be mounted to a board...however, there is also a GPS antenna that needs to be mounted to the project box, as well as a piezo buzzer that needs to be mounted...so these two items would need to either have long enough connectors / cables...or be mounted to a part of the box that doesn't move when the pieces are slipped together...sounds interesting though!

Attached Files
.zip   Project Box.skp.zip (Size: 167.38 KB / Downloads: 3)
06-24-2015, 09:21 PM,
Success!

Thanks to some great advice (Thanks Arthur) I was able to manipulate the project box to the dimensions I was shooting for.

Attached is the Sketchup file, and the STL exports (Binary and Ascii)...is this the format needed for the 3D print?

Brendan

Attached Files
.zip   Project Box 100mm.zip (Size: 330 KB / Downloads: 3)