Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bed Leveling Probe = Epic Fail
07-13-2015, 11:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-13-2015, 11:42 AM by ctcollins9.)
Bed Leveling Probe = Epic Fail
Hello guys! So, you may know that I had a bed leveling probe set up on my delta, it worked really good for a little while, but not for very long. I was playing around with it trying to get it to work better, but I just made it worse, so, I have came up with a simple mounting system with some springs/bolts/nuts to make it by levelable by turning a machine screw in 3 spots.

I need to drill 3 holes in my glass bed for the machine screws to go thru. We have a drill press here, and some diamond core bits, but is there anything else that I need to do to successfully get the holes drilled without breaking/cracking my glass.

Thanks!
07-13-2015, 02:45 PM,
RE: Bed Leveling Probe = Epic Fail
Is the glass tempered? If so, it's difficult to do anything to it without cracking it. If not, use WD-40 or oil to keep it cool and reduce the stress of drilling.

Another option is to print clips that fit the edge of the glass and run bolts/springs on those instead.
07-13-2015, 03:38 PM,
Nope. Just regular glass. Not a bad idea, but I don't think there is anything on thingiverse that would work for that.
07-13-2015, 04:19 PM,
Not everything is going to be on Thingiverse. Fire up some modelling software! Big Grin
07-13-2015, 05:43 PM,
Yes....yes...not happening any time soon. I need to take some online YouTube tutorials. I would probably come out with a useless like a Wierd blob nugget thing.
07-14-2015, 06:14 PM,
I take it back, it is borosilicate glass. I was wondering, can I send my bed to you guys in the mail with another package and pre-paid shipping label inside so that you can send it back to me (I wouldn't expect you guys to pay for return shipping) and maybe you guys could drill the holes for me with some equipment you have in the space and I would have pre-marked spots in sharpie on the bed. What do you ya think?
07-14-2015, 07:32 PM,
We don't really have any glass bits here, all high speed steel and carbide for metal. I kinda think that the possibility of cracking it would be higher than I would want to be able to agree to trying it on something that wasn't mine. Smile I would really encourage you to look into the clip idea that Arthur mentioned. Unless someone else on here has experience with drilling borosilicate (I don't) and is willing to give it a try, it probably wouldn't get you anywhere to send it to us. Our mill won't add much value here. Especially without those glass bits. You'd probably be just as well off with a drill press and some glass bits and something rigged up to hold a pool of coolant over it. I'm thinking you can't be the first with this issue. Have you looked to see what others have done for drilling into these tables or attaching mounts to them?
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"
07-14-2015, 08:12 PM,
Ok, I have spent some time looking and I have seen that carbide tips may work pretty good, but maybe I can just have my mom (I am lucky to have a mom that is very handy with that type of things!) help me try to do it, but I cannot find any beds on the Internet to buy that will work with pre drilled holes.
07-15-2015, 02:52 PM,
back to the clip idea..
if you can hand draw up something of what the clip should look like (with basic dimensions) I can try and model something really quick for you, then you can print it.
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
07-15-2015, 04:20 PM,
That would be so great Dan! I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks!