Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Poll: What part of town do you live in and/or work? (results are public)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Downtown/Browne's Addition
16.33%
8 16.33%
Northside Spokane
26.53%
13 26.53%
Mead Spokane
0%
0 0%
South Hill/Edgecliff
8.16%
4 8.16%
Spokane Valley
36.73%
18 36.73%
Prairie (Palouse/Rockford/Latah/etc.)
0%
0 0%
Deer Park
2.04%
1 2.04%
Cheney
4.08%
2 4.08%
Colville/Chewelah
2.04%
1 2.04%
Post Falls/ Cd'A Idaho
4.08%
2 4.08%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello: my name is...
03-07-2013, 09:00 PM,
RE: Hello: my name is...
My name is Ben "been going by Dragio online for years"

Im more of a self taught hobbyist than a pro at electronics pcs and such.
always happy to pull something apart just to see how it works and always happy to learn
03-08-2013, 12:10 PM,
Hi All, My name is Chris. Looking around at you other guys here, I'm a little underclassed in overall knowledge, but I'm always learning. I've had a pretty varied background, from Telecom/IT, to heavy construction (wind turbine foundations), to cell tower climbing, to IT again, and now back to IT/tower stuff for a WISP here in Spokane.

I haven't actually *built* anything as fancy as what some of you have, but the only thing that's lacking on my part is time. I've got the interest, but my free time lately has been in short supply. Anyway, Happy to help where I can! I've posted over in the location thread about internet access (which I now see has a few replies).

Some projects I'd love to do/collaborate on:

Live Gopro (any HD video) over IP, on an RC Plane/Tricopter
Raspberry Pi/Arduino: never messed with them, but would love to put together something with one.
3D Printing! Really interested in this one: My wife and I build parrot toys for our birds, and if I can find a tough enough non toxic material, It would be really neat to be able to make puzzles and stuff for them.
03-13-2013, 08:21 PM,
Hello all,

I believe myself to be the youngest of this group at nearly 16. My name is Ethan, and yes, I am a high school student. I reside on the south hill. I will attend EWU next fall in the running start program. Heard about this group on MeetUp and thought id check it out.

I love technology and the way it works. I code very basic C# consoles for fun. Some of my work includes a web browser, a picture viewer, and some info-gathering applications. Over the summer i'll take a course in web design and video game programming. Also, I am the CEO and Owner of my licensed business, Cyanide Computers. My friend and I repair iDevices and computers (desktop and laptop) through my small business.

So theres a little bit about me. Im unemployed as im not yet 16, but i aspire to be a programmer or developer of some sort. I started this adventure back when i was around 12 years old and never let up. My inspiration is my grandfather, the owner of his own Web Design business. If anybody wants to throw ideas around for anything, feel free to message me. Ive got background in Visual Basic, Visual Studio, C#, and LabView (I programmed robots for my school's robotics team this year). Again, a simple message is all it takes to get the ball rolling with me. Hope to hear/see you all soon.
03-14-2013, 11:26 AM,
Hello Everyone,
My name is Brady and I am interested in this group. I am not sure if it is something that will truly peak my interest, so I figured I would check it out.
I am hoping that I will be at the next meeting on Sunday to get a better feel for the group.
Have a great day,
Brady
03-28-2013, 08:03 PM,
Josh --

I live in the Spokane Valley. I do computer support for a living, mostly in Southern CA - Lots of commuting..

I like to tinker.

"Finished" projects:

sous vide machine (PID controlled crock Pot)
Ugly drum smoker (PID controlled)
Arduino Freezer alarm

Current Project: Aquaponics setup..

Current Experiments:
Brick Rocket Stove.
Solar Hot water heater (thermosiphon)

Projects Gathering dust : Orange CNC machine.

Planning stages HERMS brewing system.

Have a plethora of Arduinos, Parallax Propellers, a raspberry pi.. I tend to play with these, more than accomplishing anything practical so far.
04-07-2013, 06:22 AM,
My name is David. I am 27 and currently living in Luxembourg (a tiny country in Europe) with my wife, who is from Spokane. We both work at Amazon and had relocated from Seattle to Lux in the early part of 2012. My wife is due with our first child in July. She's taking about 9-10 months off to care of our little one and follow her passion of writing. Her decision to follow her passion has prompted me to rethink what it is that I want (need) in a career.

Like N8, I grew up taking things apart to better understand how they work, how they could be made better, or for inspiration for other gadget designs. In middle school, I followed Craig Anderton's rise to fame in the diy guitar effect pedal arena and had my first go at building a few pedals. It was an exciting time for me, aside from horribly rendered schematics w/ no sound bites hosted on geocities or angelfire, which could only be found through a myriad of random diy forums or directories. Smile Unfortunately, I put down the soldering iron and pursued other opportunities, that while leading me to a great career, left a void that I ignored until recently. I've begun to rebuild a small workshop for building amps/pedals and getting some of that tinker time back, but am always wishing I had more time to build.

I've been reading a lot on hackerspaces, the various tax structures used, how they form and integrate with local communities, how some are sustained and others fail, etc. Later this year, I'm taking a 2-3 month sabbatical, part of which will be used to tour hackerspaces around the world to understand what makes them successful and what networks could be established to support one another (ideas, marketplaces, shared memberships, etc.). My wife and I are considering a move back to Spokane in the next year or two, so I'd love to help this group out and contribute as best I can while abroad. This seems like a really diverse group, in backgrounds and interests (drip irregation systems, solar tracking??? Awesome!!), and there's a ton of energy that I'd like to be a part of. Have loved reading everyone's posts and look forward to participating.

Cheers,
David
04-11-2013, 07:41 PM,
I'm from Liberty Lake (basically Spokane Valley, so that's what I chose).

My name is Jon and I do mostly software stuff now.

I've done little hardware and a decent amount of low level software (hacked a kernel module or two) but mostly general software. I've always been pretty interested in software security. I'd like to get into making some fun devices and getting more out of our existing devices.

Glad to see a Maker/DIY/hackerspace in Spokane and I'd like to get involved.
04-15-2013, 10:12 AM,
(04-07-2013, 06:22 AM)CorpGypsy Wrote: My name is David. I am 27 and currently living in Luxembourg (a tiny country in Europe) with my wife, who is from Spokane. We both work at Amazon and had relocated from Seattle to Lux in the early part of 2012. My wife is due with our first child in July. She's taking about 9-10 months off to care of our little one and follow her passion of writing. Her decision to follow her passion has prompted me to rethink what it is that I want (need) in a career.

Like N8, I grew up taking things apart to better understand how they work, how they could be made better, or for inspiration for other gadget designs. In middle school, I followed Craig Anderton's rise to fame in the diy guitar effect pedal arena and had my first go at building a few pedals. It was an exciting time for me, aside from horribly rendered schematics w/ no sound bites hosted on geocities or angelfire, which could only be found through a myriad of random diy forums or directories. Smile Unfortunately, I put down the soldering iron and pursued other opportunities, that while leading me to a great career, left a void that I ignored until recently. I've begun to rebuild a small workshop for building amps/pedals and getting some of that tinker time back, but am always wishing I had more time to build.

I've been reading a lot on hackerspaces, the various tax structures used, how they form and integrate with local communities, how some are sustained and others fail, etc. Later this year, I'm taking a 2-3 month sabbatical, part of which will be used to tour hackerspaces around the world to understand what makes them successful and what networks could be established to support one another (ideas, marketplaces, shared memberships, etc.). My wife and I are considering a move back to Spokane in the next year or two, so I'd love to help this group out and contribute as best I can while abroad. This seems like a really diverse group, in backgrounds and interests (drip irregation systems, solar tracking??? Awesome!!), and there's a ton of energy that I'd like to be a part of. Have loved reading everyone's posts and look forward to participating.

Cheers,
David

Hello from Spokane! We are getting off the ground here, and definitely are interested in learning from other hackerspaces.

Will you have time to visit Labitat in Denmark on your travels? I would be interested in establishing a link with them at some time because of their work on a metal 3D printer (http://reprap.org/wiki/MetalicaRap).

Cheers.
04-17-2013, 11:56 AM,
Hello! I'm Mike and I Make.

I've lived in West/Northwest Spokane my entire life and started breaking/making computers at age 12. I started working as an IT Intern in high school and started doing freelance design and development by age 17. After high school I earned my undergraduate degree in Computer Science at Eastern Washington University.

In my day job I engineer software for a small biotech company located in Downtown Spokane. Since we employ less than 15 people, I also end up wearing every hat imaginable. I have the most experience with .NET languages but have used too many languages and technologies to list.

Hobbies *in no particular order:

Home Brewing - this hobby has taken me down far too many roads to describe in text. I started by making hard apple cider and mead (honey wine) and adding various other fruits to make one of a kind flavors. I then moved to extract based beer kits, made my own recipes and eventually moved to all-grain brewing. The wiki article will get you started with some basics if you're curious http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrewing

Music - Jamming, Writing, Performing, Recording, Mixing, Producing - I've done it all and love every aspect. See http://myspace.com/yesmanyesmusic - it has been a while since my last project, heh

Art - Paint / mixed medium - see http://ransidmeat.deviantart.com/ or my living room. haha.

Programming - I have written a handfull of neat little web applications - some have died off as I lose interest and some continue such as

Woodworking - see projects below Smile

Photography - see http://pictryp.com/author/mikerussell/ for part of my last photo project - it has been a while since I posted.

Electronics - I just started tinkering with an arduino board to use as a homebrew process controller. So far it will be used to control hot water heater elements via solid state relays and monitor temperatures with 1-wire thermometer probes. It will eventually automate pumps, fans, valves, who knows! It's a current work in progress and I don't quite have any albums to share yet.

Drafting / Modeling / Rendering - think Google SketchUp / AutoCad / Rhino / Cinema4d

Video Games - I've still got the gaming itch from being a professional gamer. It sounds sillier as I age. Oh well.

Example projects in somewhat chronological order *memory plays tricks on me sometimes:

Apple Grinder and Cider Press - see http://appllog.blogspot.com

20' x 10' Pergola - simple outdoor sun shade and gathering area

Wet bar - about 7' of sitting space and a bar back, plumbed with water and 3 beer taps!

Shuffleboard table - custom fit to my basement to add to the bar atmosphere - see https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...e2513740f8 for photos

Home brewery based in a 8' x 12' shed - Probably will always be a work in progress Smile

Beer Keg to Brew Kettle, Mash Tun and Hot Liquor Tank conversions with weldless high-temperature fittings

Electric Keg conversions ( Work in Progress )

Automated Brewing controller ( Work in Progress )

I've heard about a couple different maker groups in the area and I'm always willing to lend a hand to help out! I look forward to meeting other like-minded people and checking out what the group has going on.
04-17-2013, 01:04 PM,
(04-15-2013, 10:12 AM)davidf Wrote:
(04-07-2013, 06:22 AM)CorpGypsy Wrote: My name is David. I am 27 and currently living in Luxembourg (a tiny country in Europe) with my wife, who is from Spokane. We both work at Amazon and had relocated from Seattle to Lux in the early part of 2012. My wife is due with our first child in July. She's taking about 9-10 months off to care of our little one and follow her passion of writing. Her decision to follow her passion has prompted me to rethink what it is that I want (need) in a career.

Cheers,
David

Hello from Spokane! We are getting off the ground here, and definitely are interested in learning from other hackerspaces.

Will you have time to visit Labitat in Denmark on your travels? I would be interested in establishing a link with them at some time because of their work on a metal 3D printer (http://reprap.org/wiki/MetalicaRap).

Cheers.

Hey David, I hadn't planned on traveling to Denmark, but I can try to make it out later this summer. Maybe we can have a video conference or something when I'm there. It'd be great to check out their project.

I'm heading to Cape Town, ZA this weekend and planning to check out CodeBridge while I'm there. I honestly don't know a thing about programming, which they seem to be heavy in. If there's anyone interested in that side of the house send me a private message with questions and your contact info. I'll be sure to connect you in with their members. I think there's a lot to learn and a lot to gain if hackerspaces connect can and share...thinking 'sister cities'... as corny as that sounds. lol

Cheers,
David