Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Poll: What part of town do you live in and/or work? (results are public)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Downtown/Browne's Addition
16.33%
8 16.33%
Northside Spokane
26.53%
13 26.53%
Mead Spokane
0%
0 0%
South Hill/Edgecliff
8.16%
4 8.16%
Spokane Valley
36.73%
18 36.73%
Prairie (Palouse/Rockford/Latah/etc.)
0%
0 0%
Deer Park
2.04%
1 2.04%
Cheney
4.08%
2 4.08%
Colville/Chewelah
2.04%
1 2.04%
Post Falls/ Cd'A Idaho
4.08%
2 4.08%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello: my name is...
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM by Mawson.)
Tongue  RE: Hello: my name is...
Hello everyone!

My name is Duncan, I've grown up here in Spokane, and currently live in the mead area at the base of Mt. Spokane.

My interests include PC gaming, building and overclocking computers, exploring nature (which I really need to do more of), as well as music and audio from all angles (including choral performance, live sound engineering, Reproduction for pleasure, Recording, etc), and video, lighting, and VR (I have an Oculus Rift on order which I will gladly demo Big Grin ). I am also interested in electronics in general, both hardware and software, but have yet to really build much of anything in those departments. I did get some HTML working recently though... lol

I have experience with 3d modeling, video editing and production, pro and home sound including recording, computer building with an emphasis on aesthetics, general residential construction,

One project I have going right now is trying to figure out why the shift keys on my mechanical keyboard only function intermittently. That gets really annoying, really fast when trying to sprint in a game.

I have also swapped out the axles on my 89 suburban, for dana 44s with posis to make it a true 4x4, in stead of a 1x4, as it was when I bought it.

Anyway if that jumbled mess made any sense congrats! I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and doing some stupid crazy stuff! Tongue

Edit: Just thought of more stuff!

I have also done a lot of research into Fiber optic networking, and FTTX deployments, as well as worked with basic cat5 ethernet and POTS around the house and for clients.
05-27-2013, 05:41 PM,
RE: Hello: my name is...Dan
Putting together a Makerspace at Riverpoint Academy. Anyone had experience? Need mentors, users, etc.
05-28-2013, 02:15 PM,
(05-27-2013, 05:41 PM)dbutler Wrote: Putting together a Makerspace at Riverpoint Academy. Anyone had experience? Need mentors, users, etc.

What kind of Info are you looking for?
you can email/pm me directly
We are always glad to share our experiences so others might learn
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
05-30-2013, 07:39 AM,
(05-27-2013, 05:41 PM)dbutler Wrote: Putting together a Makerspace at Riverpoint Academy. Anyone had experience? Need mentors, users, etc.

Hey Dan! Nice to see you on here!

What sort of facilties are you considering having at this makerspace?

Duncan "Mawson" Gibbs
06-19-2013, 10:04 PM,
RE: Hello: my name is...
Salutations!

I'm Don, and I've stopped by a couple of times to work on different projects.

My next project is going to be to construct a buddipole antenna for my amateur radio.

https://sites.google.com/site/w3ffhomepa...pole-plans

I'll bring a copy of the plans and start buying parts for it shortly. Should be a pretty neat project, at any rate!
06-27-2013, 09:06 PM,
Howdy! My name is Jimmy Gleason and I learned about this group from Nathan Bouscal the other night at a group called Build Guild for web industry folks.

I've been extremely interested in 3D printing for the last year or so and have toyed with some Arduino and rPi stuff. It's extremely pleasing to see a group like this in Spokane.

I look forward to attending some events and learning from all of you.

Seeya around.
07-06-2013, 01:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM by davidf.)
Billy is my name; tinkering, modifying, building, and repairing has been the single constant in my life. I was the kid who took apart new toys before playing with them, as an adult I still do the same, except the toys are complicated and expensive. Currently I keep the bills paid with wide range of self taught skills which include, 3D printing, sand casting, lost wax casting; my etsy shop as a small glimpse of what lost wax casting makes it possible for me to make (https://www.etsy.com/shop/PureB), antique restorations; classic cars being the most rewarding and difficult of my restorations.

My hopes are to broaden and hone my skills with the aid of others as I've began to plateau from being self taught and working solo.
09-06-2013, 06:58 PM,
Hello!

My name is Brett, and I have been interested in hacking and robotics since I joined my high school FRC team a few years back. I've since done a lot of programming and dabbled in hardware. I'm especially well versed in coding for Arduino because of a lot of the work I do as the main programmer for the liberty lake based company MINDS-i. I've written code for plenty of different robots, some android applications, and the Google code jam competition. I've also built a quad-copter that has unfortunately been put off lately (cost mostly), and a little device using a mirror and two stepper motors to write words in glow-in-the-dark paint with an ultraviolet laser.

Outside of that I'm currently working on a mathematics degree from North Idaho College, and I play alto saxophone. I'm big a jazz music fan, and I have a bit of recording equipment but have yet to really do much with it. I'm apprenticing with the Tuxedo Junction big band and I play with two bands here at NIC. I also enjoy reading science fiction (Who else is excited for the Ender's game movie coming up?)

Hope to see you guys when I can make it out there some time.

Brett
09-11-2013, 08:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 02:45 PM by Dan.)
I'm Geoff and I'm very excited to see a hackerspace starting up here in Spokane.

I'm a software developer by trade. I've been doing that for about 25 years now, I'm getting pretty good! I mostly do business applications, but my first jobs were with show control systems. In the day we had to create a lot of our own interfaces and control systems, so I wrote a lot of microcontroller code and burned my fingers more than once on soldering irons.

Currently I'm heavily involved with Scouting. I teach several of the STEM oriented merit badges, including electronic, robotics and programming.

I'm a ham radio operator, callsign N7ZRR. I'm into packet and APRS

My current projects are:
  1. Learning ARM assembly on the Raspberry Pi
  2. Creating a remote garden bot to water and monitor my garden
  3. Creating my own 6502 based single board computer

I hope to be at tonight's session and meet a few members.
04-27-2015, 06:26 PM,
Hi,

I thought I needed to introduce myself before I start weighing in on the Forums. My name is Troy and I am planning on moving to the Spokane area in the very near future. I have been involved with Makerspaces since 2006 (before they were even called that) I have owned and ran GeeksOK as well as participating in OHMSpace and Prototek. I have a lot of practice both owning and managing a space and would be more then willing to share my knowledge, but I do not want to cramp anyone's style with my unsolicited opinion. Since I am moving to Spokane I am in the process of winding down my space and have sold or disposed of many of my tools, but I still plan on bringing a lot with me. I thought I might pack and ship some materials ahead of me. I happen to know from experience that unwanted donations and clutter can be the DEATH of a space, so If one of the organizers can contact me, we can decide what may be wanted.

I look forward to visiting early in June and am excited that Spokane has a space.

Best Regards,
Troy Coon
Lead Geek
GeeksOK.com