Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Poll: What part of town do you live in and/or work? (results are public)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Downtown/Browne's Addition
16.33%
8 16.33%
Northside Spokane
26.53%
13 26.53%
Mead Spokane
0%
0 0%
South Hill/Edgecliff
8.16%
4 8.16%
Spokane Valley
36.73%
18 36.73%
Prairie (Palouse/Rockford/Latah/etc.)
0%
0 0%
Deer Park
2.04%
1 2.04%
Cheney
4.08%
2 4.08%
Colville/Chewelah
2.04%
1 2.04%
Post Falls/ Cd'A Idaho
4.08%
2 4.08%
Total 49 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello: my name is...
04-28-2015, 04:36 AM,
RE: Hello: my name is...
Hello, I seen this thread and thought I'd introduce myself for those of you who haven't met me at the group yet.

My name is Colby Collins and I am 13 years old. I am in 7th grade (getting really close to 8th though) and have recently became a 3D printing enthusiast.

Back in January, 2014, I pre-ordered a TwoUp 3D printer and was one of the first few people to receive their kits. It was a giant disaster/disappointment. Many were parts missing, faulty electronics, broken parts, terrible firmware, you name it. This being my first 3D printer, I had no clue how everything on it worked, I even remember not knowing how the the thermistor was suspossed to go into the hotend (lol); but after around 3 months of tinkering, I got it working and had a few terrible prints, and wayyyyy tooooo much money spent on upgrades, so I then sold it on eBay, which lead me to my new 3D printer.

My new printer is a Kossel Mini clone. It came in a kit and assembly was pretty smooth. It took me quite a while to figure out how to get it working, in fact, the first time I came to Spokane Create, everyone helped me and I put out my first print on it. Now, everyone is jealous because of the freaking awesome print quality, and I have made quite a few really nice prints with it, but now, ABearden is building (or starting to anyway) a delta for the space, and it's gonna be amazing.

I have gotten a lot of help from Spokane Create and the few times I have came. I love coming, its the best thing I do all week.

Have a great day.
04-28-2015, 06:57 AM,
Welcome! Glad you introduced yourself here. Some who follow the forums can't come into the space (we have followers in Germany and China) so they may not have met you. Some good info here for those new to 3D printing as well.
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"
05-20-2015, 01:55 AM,
Some of my friends call me the Junk Wizard. I'm pretty good at making things out of other things. I enjoy the usual geeky stuff, the usual masculine stuff, and spend a reasonable amount of time figuring out how to put out that fire I just inadvertently created.

My usual weekend routine involves building/tuning/fixing/racing various cars, while my week routine involves working boatloads of overtime in a bland job. The horizon is bright, however.

My journeys have sent me everywhere from building CNC laser engravers out of popsicle sticks and hot glue to trying to put enough Americium in graphite containers to see if I could build a TEG; which is a terrible idea, don't do it. I've burned more gasoline/propane/ethanol/diesel/methanol in unusual ways than I can remember.

My list of things I would like to accomplish this summer include building a pulse-jet engine with water injection, and melting down some aluminum to cast some simple shapes for my automotive needs. Perhaps buying some titanium and figuring out how to melt that down in a vacuum chamber too.

I'm always willing to help or give advice. I'm not a very well practiced teacher, but I do try.
05-20-2015, 06:01 AM,
Welcome! Hopefully you get a chance to dodge the overtime and make it down to the space. You don't happen to also be nicknamed the "Nuclear Boy Scout" do you? Big Grin

The pulse-jet sounds like fun.
06-09-2015, 08:20 AM,
Well I just found this place and it seems like just what I have been looking for. My name is Alan, SolidWorks drafter by dat, tinkerer, wannabe audiophile and wannabe CS:GO player by night. I have a G0704 I picked up recently that I am working on CNC'ing and a PM-1127 that will be getting a new drive shortly. I have probably the average ridiculous number of personal projects and house projects that I am working on at any one time, lol. Some that are slowly in the works are a couple monoblock amp's, better speakers, a couple bike lights and flashlights to get started.

I am hoping to swing by this Wednesday and meet some people, though I saw some posts about it being cancelled some weeks so I am hoping this isn't one of them and I just can't find the post.
06-09-2015, 12:43 PM,
(06-09-2015, 08:20 AM)acartier1981 Wrote: Well I just found this place and it seems like just what I have been looking for. My name is Alan, SolidWorks drafter by dat, tinkerer, wannabe audiophile and wannabe CS:GO player by night. I have a G0704 I picked up recently that I am working on CNC'ing and a PM-1127 that will be getting a new drive shortly. I have probably the average ridiculous number of personal projects and house projects that I am working on at any one time, lol. Some that are slowly in the works are a couple monoblock amp's, better speakers, a couple bike lights and flashlights to get started.

I am hoping to swing by this Wednesday and meet some people, though I saw some posts about it being cancelled some weeks so I am hoping this isn't one of them and I just can't find the post.

Welcome! This week's is definitely not cancelled. The ones that were fell on holidays.

Sounds like you'll fit right in, Alan.
06-17-2015, 08:21 PM,
Hi All! My name is Brendan, and I just found this create Spokane Create community!

I was excited to learn about Spokane Create during the Toolbox open-house held last week. I stopped in tonight, and was very excited to meet so many great makers and see so many great projects.

I have a degree in Avionic Electronics...I worked on infrared cameras and lasers in the military, and then as a civilian, I worked on high-end IR cameras for 10 years. I love electronics, and figuring out how things work!

I have a variety of projects ongoing in my spare time...they primarily revolved around a Microchip PIC controller or possibly an ATMega. I'm self-taught in C, and I enjoy the hardware and software aspects of embedded development.

I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, I've developed a few PCBs here and there, and I'm happy to help out with any electronics advice / guidance. I'd like to learn how to 3D print, and work with other shop tools.

Thanks again everybody; I look forward to meeting with you on Wednesdays!
06-18-2015, 07:15 AM,
(06-17-2015, 08:21 PM)Brendan Wrote: Hi All! My name is Brendan, and I just found this create Spokane Create community!

I was excited to learn about Spokane Create during the Toolbox open-house held last week. I stopped in tonight, and was very excited to meet so many great makers and see so many great projects.

I have a degree in Avionic Electronics...I worked on infrared cameras and lasers in the military, and then as a civilian, I worked on high-end IR cameras for 10 years. I love electronics, and figuring out how things work!

I have a variety of projects ongoing in my spare time...they primarily revolved around a Microchip PIC controller or possibly an ATMega. I'm self-taught in C, and I enjoy the hardware and software aspects of embedded development.

I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, I've developed a few PCBs here and there, and I'm happy to help out with any electronics advice / guidance. I'd like to learn how to 3D print, and work with other shop tools.

Thanks again everybody; I look forward to meeting with you on Wednesdays!

It was nice to meet you last night, Brendan. Welcome to Spokane Create! Glad you found us. Looking forward to exchanging skills.
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"
09-08-2015, 10:19 AM,
Hi, my name is Tom and my 13 yr old son is Abe. He's been asking/saving for a 3D printer for ages (since he bought and got bored with a 3Doodler) and I think we'll be getting one in the next month or two. I found Spokane Create because I knew I'd heard there was a maker space around town somewhere.

I'm a software developer by trade, and would have hobbies but I have too many kids and work on a website on the side.

Thinking of dropping by once a month or so to absorb some knowledge and help out, maybe pick people's brains about a printer to build/buy.
09-08-2015, 01:47 PM,
(09-08-2015, 10:19 AM)matelich Wrote: Thinking of dropping by once a month or so to absorb some knowledge and help out, maybe pick people's brains about a printer to build/buy.

You found the right place!
Stop on by or post here in the forums and I am sure several people can give you their opinion on the matter

I look forward to meeting you
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring