Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas forge
11-18-2015, 09:41 AM,
Gas forge
I'm looking to build a gas forge for home use and am wondering if there's a good local source for small amounts of Kaowool or another ceramic blanket forge lining. I'd also like to find some reflective ceramic coating like ITC-100 to line the inside of the forge.

Everything I need is very easy to find online, but I'd like to use a local source if possible. I've noticed that the ceramic blanket is typically sold in 10-25 foot rolls and I only need a fraction of that.
11-18-2015, 09:49 AM,
RE: Gas forge
I have kaowool and itc-100. The kaowool, I got a deal on, and can probably just give you what you need. ITC, I paid retail, but would be glad to sell you whatever quantity you want at the rate I paid. I also have refractory cement which should be applied to the kaowool first, to make a smoother surface to paint the ITC on.

I can bring it all tonightor on Saturday, if you'll be coming in?
- David / 979 for too nein $even
11-18-2015, 10:02 AM,
Awesome, thanks David. I will be in tonight, but I need to gather the more basic materials first, so no need to bring that stuff just yet unless you want to. I'm planning to build the forge described here:
http://www.zoellerforge.com/simplegasforge.html

I've looked at some other designs but the Zoeller forge seems to use the most readily-available materials and be a simple build.
11-18-2015, 12:54 PM,
Check out - http://foundry101.com/learlink1.htm

This guys is in Hillyard area, its a house so call ahead.

He has everything you need, and a lot of experience.
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
01-13-2016, 07:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2016, 07:41 AM by tupperck.)
Thanks for the link Dan, I'd definitely be interested in one of those classes Smile

(11-18-2015, 09:49 AM)david tremaine Wrote: I have kaowool and itc-100. The kaowool, I got a deal on, and can probably just give you what you need. ITC, I paid retail, but would be glad to sell you whatever quantity you want at the rate I paid. I also have refractory cement which should be applied to the kaowool first, to make a smoother surface to paint the ITC on.

I can bring it all tonightor on Saturday, if you'll be coming in?
- David / 979 for too nein $even

Hey David, are you going to be at SC tonight? I'm finished building the forge body, burner assembly, and am ready for some lining! I've got a going away celebration for my brother to attend tonight but think Ill be able to make it in for an hour or two earlier in the evening.
01-21-2016, 03:48 PM,
Thanks, David, for the refractory supplies! I was able to get the forge lined with kaowool and a layer of cement this morning. I may do a second coat of cement before the ITC coating but I'd like to wait and see how sturdy the single layer turns out once cured.

It looks like I'll be done by the end of this weekend allowing for another coating of cement. Now if those blasted burner parts would show up!