Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
functions of a spokane-based make-space?
02-25-2013, 03:27 PM,
Rainbow  functions of a spokane-based make-space?
Seems like the question floated around a bit at the meeting this past Sunday - I don't remember hearing many different answers. The ones I do remember, followed by some I've thought would be neat:

- a place for members to come to use tools they can't afford to own (space-, $-, or spouse-wise)

- a place to come hang out, collaborate, and cross-pollinate

- a tool lending library, for projects that can't be brought to the make space (concrete saw, chainsaw come to mind) - lots of places have these already (Berkeley's is integrated with their regular public library), but so far I haven't seen one combined with a dedicated make-space. seems a natural fit, if logistics could be worked out. I, for one, would love to have occasional use of a portable bandsaw-mill (for making trees into lumber)

- cottage economy community - find a product we can make competitively, or something new and different, and offer piecework opportunities to members.some people don't need or want a regular job, and are happier doing different things all the time. well, I'm speaking for myself here, but extrapolating - I enjoy not having a job so much, I have to assume there are lots of people like me, who would rather be broke most of the time but have the freedom to do whatever I (we?) want, without fear of failure. I would love to be able to come help with someone's project, making 10 or 1000 of something, get paid a little for it, and feed proceeds into the communal workshop

what have you thought of?
02-26-2013, 08:06 AM,
Brick  RE: functions of a spokane-based make-space?
What I would like to see in a hackerspace -

I imagine a community of people from all walks of life able to come together to learn and have fun by building cool "things".

Beyond college/university it is difficult to find hands-on technical workshops that push you to learn something new, especially in the Spokane Area, I think we can fill that void.
There are so few clubs in this area that have any sort of tech/nerdy focus it makes it difficult to find other like minded people and collaborate.

Another giant opportunity I see is the ability to nurture innovation and provide a place where someone can turn a dream into reality, like an inventors lab or research and design shop.
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
03-06-2013, 10:43 PM,
RE: functions of a spokane-based make-space?
Here are a few references for creating a Hackerspace and general info for those new to hackerspaces, like me.

http://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-start-a...y/overview

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/
07-17-2013, 03:09 PM,
RE: functions of a spokane-based make-space?

One of the most helpful reasons for having a makerspace, at least from the experience of Nova Labs, Inc. (makerspace in Northern Virginia, of which I'm a member) is the 'group build'. We done very successful 'group builds' of both 3d printers and UAVs (quadcopters, etc.). Folks get together, decide what to build, then someone researches where to get materials, publishes price list and BOM, folks contribute / sign up, materials are obtained, cut, sorted, put into 'kits' and then a build day (or two or three) are scheduled!

It's a lot of fun to come together and do a group build. Very soon folks are figuring it out, helping one another, pointing out how to improve this or that, and the spirit begins to soar.

Anyway, don't forget 'group build'!

Regards,
Mark