Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skipped Steps wont Go Away
01-08-2016, 12:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2016, 03:25 PM by ctcollins9.)
Skipped Steps wont Go Away
Hi guys, Colby here. I have been having problems with my delta.....SKIPPED STEPS. I have tried everything. I tried a line conditioner, bought new arduino/ramps/stepsticks.....Nothing works. I have spent hours trying to get it to work right again. I cant even get but half way through a 20mm cube till it juts over some ramdon direction. I am considering getting a new printer all together. Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Thanks, I really appreciate it, Colby.
"If it isn't broke, fix it until it is"
01-08-2016, 08:03 PM,
RE: Skipped Steps wont Go Away
Are the driver heatsinks still firmly in place? Are they getting enough air? Is it happening constantly, or only after the printer has been on for some length of time?
01-08-2016, 08:43 PM,
Yes the heatsinks are very firm, they are getting a huge amount of air, they are brand new, and it happens constantly.
01-09-2016, 09:02 AM,
Insufficient power supply filtering is a common source of missed steps.

Make sure the power supply for each part of the system is bypassed with good quality capacitors. Place the caps as close to the devices as possible. Low ESR caps are better than ones that aren't. If you suspect high frequency noise could be part of the problem, use a 0.1 uF cap in parallel with the larger capacitor.

what voltage are you running the system at? Are the supplies regulated or unregulated?

Check your grounding.

Check your wiring, make sure that control signals are as far from high current signals as possible. If they must cross, make sure they do so at right angles, and don't lay side by side.

Are you microstepping? Have you tried changing the value?

You could try slowing down the acceleration and max speed too.

Does it skip more/less at any particular feed rate? during accel?

Is there any binding on the machine? does everything move smoothly, with no change in force across the entire range of travel? Does it move with very little effort?
01-09-2016, 10:47 AM,
Everything moves smoothly. Connections and wiring are good. Feedrate does not affect it. Yes, I have tried changing the value for microstepping. Running at 12v 30amps. I am guessing the psu is regulated.
01-10-2016, 07:44 AM,
Measure the temp of your drivers, make sure the heatsinks are adequate.

Measure the temp of your stepper motors, make sure you aren't overdriving them.

Try slowing your acceleration values. Cut the value in half and try it.

Have you tried a different 12V power supply? Sometimes regulated power supplies don't like the kind of load a motor presents.
01-10-2016, 09:10 AM,
I do not believe I have any way to measure the temp of the motors, and I dont have another psu to try
01-10-2016, 11:37 AM,
What values have you tried for microstepping? Have you tried turning it off completely?

While not exact, set your hand on the motor bodies. For the NEMA17s (if I remember right) driving your machine they should be easy to hold your hand on. Warm is okay, but if it's uncomfortable they're probably running too hot.
01-10-2016, 12:45 PM,
Well, thanks to Alex, I believe my problem may be fixed. He helped me test my steppers to see if they were good and one of them was bad! I had a spare so I replaced it and it seems to be printing great at the moment. Running a 4 hour print with only 1 hour left and no issues...
01-10-2016, 03:24 PM,
Good deal!