Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
silicone molds
02-19-2016, 08:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM by Jeff Cuneo.)
silicone molds
Second attempt--the first said photo was too large and I lost everything.

Silicone molds were mentioned at the meeting and I would like to share what capabilities are possible should there be interest in cornering the short lead time rapid prototype production of silicone molds. Silicone molds--specifically compression molds can produce high quality parts in very short times with very little cash outlay to startup, demonstrate and prove the method. The parts shown are small but bigger parts can be done. Also small parts often contain the most profit. If interested I can give a presentation with parts in hand to discuss some of the things involved should this route be taken. I will try to attach a photo again--last time all was lost. For that reason feel free to email or call Jeffhome10@me.com 509-202-3788

Please note--these parts are flash and bubble free by using proper mold making methods as well as molding techniques.

This is another part. Its size is not impressive--however that is exactly what companies will pay for because it involves micro-machining. Also note that the mold to produce this was aluminum and took one shift to produce--including the molding of the parts. This is something else that would be desirable for SC since machining small molds out of aluminum are risk free. Aluminum is very forgiving as as people come on line for machining on the cnc and even the Bridgeport it will be a huge plus---------that they are not machining in steel. Cutters last forever and too many other things to mention. Please note also that industry pays for fast parts--not molds. They do not care how they are made. With compression molds because of the techniques both in molding and mold construction the customer actually generally is not allowed to see the mold nor view them being molded.

This photo shows what gives police and fire radio knobs their "smooth feel". This mold I designed as an 18 cavity mold and I molded several thousand per shift. The reason this photo is pertinent is the mold was a simple 2 plate "open and close" mold with no slides nor inserts. The ribs could not have parting lines so a tiny undercut cutter was used--which cannot be purchased yet another reason small parts such as this are a great opportunity. Many of the projects at SC could also benefit from small silicone parts such as seals as well. Most devices are packed with small seals such as to make them water and shock proof and many other reasons. Engineers generally design "around" some of whats needed because the molds are too expensive and add to the lead time--most shops cannot produce a fast mold in fewer than days or weeks. On the 3 rib part the ribs were made with a .020 cutter handmade because to construct the mold from several plates--they would have had to be so thin that it would make manufacture almost impossible. Thus no company would accept taking in the job and we molded them. These parts I molded several thousand per shift by simplifying the mold and process. The process is counter-intuitive thus no competitors. Another plus

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

02-22-2016, 10:12 PM,
RE: silicone molds
This sounds really interesting. I'd love to learn more. Let's talk on Wednesday.
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"
02-24-2016, 06:21 AM,
RE: silicone molds
(02-22-2016, 10:12 PM)n8cutler Wrote: This sounds really interesting. I'd love to learn more. Let's talk on Wednesday.
Thanks I will be in tonight and found the parts I have. Short lead time compression molded parts of course is not so much about the parts--which often are unimpressive. The same concepts and processes that produce compression molded parts can also be applied to anything. We can chit chat and if desired I can give a better presentation at some point. I have a video uploaded I will try to locate.