Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eBike powered by RC helicopter motor
03-02-2016, 11:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2016, 11:32 PM by david tremaine.)
eBike powered by RC helicopter motor
My latest obsession is with figuring out how to build an electric bike.

Meanwhile, since the day I met him, Ray has taken advantage of every encounter we've had to evangelize on RC helicopter motors
and how powerful they are for their size and weight [I'm starting to understand why]

So I googled "rc helicopter ebike" it, and found this:
Matt Schumaker's DIY Electric-Assist Recumbent

Amazing write-up, with scads of pictures, design theory, ebike battery building (though not, sadly, from recycled laptop batteries),
home machine-shop show-offery, and a drool-inducing video warning: your tastes may differ. drool inducement not guaranteed

see how fast it goes!
(note: author says his belt drive was skipping here, and that "the bike is actually a lot faster.")

The rest of the host website looks to be chock full of interesting stuff (well, truly, I'm only 45 minutes into it,) like How to make plastic bubble fairings at home, cheaply
03-03-2016, 06:17 AM,
RE: eBike powered by RC helicopter motor
Power density of the little beasts is as high as any motor I've seen...it's not just the Heli Motors, they just lend themselves to the lower RPM requirements of locomotion. To bad there aren't many sensored ones out there.

That's the bike I saw that inspired my desire to make one!
03-08-2016, 06:43 PM,
Looks like a fun project!
03-10-2016, 08:07 AM,
The place in England that I was telling you about last night...

The motor I was telling you about last night....they have knocked the price WAY down.