Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux CNC
03-04-2016, 11:31 AM,
RE: Linux CNC
Thanks for all the information about these parallel port upgrades and alternative software. Linux CNC has a learning curve but I know there are several people familiar with it at SC and we'll be using it with the laser engraver so it is already in house. I went with Mach for my machine just to get up and running quickly along with the Gecko 540, nice system since it is all serial cable hookups and pretty idiot proof. Along with a PCI parellel port upgrade it runs very smooth

I always get Tormach confused with Torchmate, what a mistake that is. The Path Pilot does look to improve on Mach having watch a quick video from NYC CNC. Seems quite a bit quicker on controlling the machine and more intuitive at visualizing the operation.

I'm not sure where we are with the mill though. We had talked about upgrading the internal boards to boost the speed and memory and these upgrades seem to be on the computer side rather then the mill. Are we looking at controlling the mill from the PC through drip feed thus negating the other upgrades? And I'm not sure what a Restore disk is for the Path Pilot although $30 sounds pretty cheap for the software.
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad

Messages In This Thread
Linux CNC - by RayStoner - 03-03-2016, 09:15 AM
RE: Linux CNC - by IdeaMakers - 03-04-2016, 11:31 AM
RE: Linux CNC - by RayStoner - 03-04-2016, 11:58 AM
RE: Linux CNC - by IdeaMakers - 03-05-2016, 08:45 AM