Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printing with the Leapfrog Dual
03-16-2016, 07:13 PM,
Printing with the Leapfrog Dual
Consider the info in this post in a beta stage...

As some of you have seen (and sometimes gawked at), I've been playing with the Leapfrog printer. From what I've learned, very few people have much of a clue as to how 3D printing works and/or how to do it. Now that I've figured the one machine out and had some time to improve it, I thought I'd share how one would go about printing with it.

Since I've added a Raspberry Pi to the printer, it now has a OctoPrint server on it to unify the print experience and maybe one day allow remote control/monitoring of your print. There are two ways to print with OctoPrint, one of them involves a preloaded Cura config with a slicer profile. As I have not gotten the slicer profile installed, I will only describe the other way to print and update later.

Really there are only a few steps:
  1. Use some form of slicer software to slice the stl/object
  2. Upload to the OctoPi
  3. Print from the OctoPi

Because some people don't know how to do these things, I'll expand on them:
  1. Slic3r is well known and seems to be pretty cross platform, so download and install that. NOTE: I don't recommend building it (or any other software listed) from scratch, just download the binary.
  2. Download the config file in this post and import it into Slic3r. I will try to keep it up to date with the latest improvements.
  3. Add your object to Slic3r and choose the desired print settings on the right (i.e. "no support", PLA, "- default -", "Leapfrog Creatr Dual")
  4. You can now do one of two things. If you are on the Create! WiFi, you can just click "Send to printer" and it will upload to the printer and be ready to print. Otherwise, you can "Export G-code" and upload it to http://octopi.local when you get there.
  5. After that, the OctoPi should be ready to print and you just need to login to http://octopi.local with the credentials listed on the machine and click print.

I will update this first post with changes/fixes as you guys find issues with my post Cool

Attached Files
.zip   slic3r_config.zip (Size: 1.39 KB / Downloads: 5)
03-16-2016, 10:48 PM,
RE: Printing with the Leapfrog Dual
Help expanding the 3D printing capabilities of the space is always appreciated!

If we can get the LeapFrog printing reliably, that would be awesome.
03-17-2016, 06:11 AM,
Yeah, I think one of the big problems was the Leapfrog software wasn't up to date. With an up to date Slic3r and OctoPrint, it seems to run like a finished product. Disclaimer: I've only printed one thing, but once I got the bed properly leveled it seemed to work fine with PLA.

After I get the OctoPi a case, I'll try ABS again.
03-17-2016, 05:54 PM,
Thanks for your work on this!
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"
03-23-2016, 12:17 PM,
FYI - For anyone interested, the config above has a first layer temp feature that does not change to the "normal" temp. Just use one temp for the whole print and you'll get around this (I.E. set first layer and other layers to the same setting). If you use the above for PLA it will warp!
04-13-2016, 09:43 PM,
https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comm...og_creatr/
04-24-2016, 04:41 PM,
(04-13-2016, 09:43 PM)ABearden Wrote: https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comm...og_creatr/
You don't know me however,I attended the gathering last wed and your name came up regarding a device that I've been working on a few years. I own a small freight company in Spokane and the project I've been working on is a device that detects black ice on a road to prevent accidents. Input and questions would be welcome. I'm currently transporting freight to Texas and may not be able to respond quickly.