Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ideas for supporters and other things
04-20-2016, 06:21 PM,
ideas for supporters and other things
Hi you guys things are going good at the new job Prototech so I have to stay focused on that but I wanted to touch bases with you.

On the issue of what to produce to give donors I strongly suggest taking an existing product and engraving it. The reasons are many:

To come up with a great creation to show SC abilities essentially would mean producing a marketable patent-able item--not an easy task. There will be no robot that can be given to supporters nor will they expect it. The best option in the meantime by far in my opinion is simply to take an existing item and engrave it.

One item that is not only cheap--but new to the market for almost no financial invesment is the new led flashlights that exist at 300 lumens for about $10....

To engrave an item gives people cnc experience with projecting text onto a surface--as well as the fact that engraving words or anything would give people strong sense of satisfaction for little effort. The skills could also be used endlessly since engraving with a ball-nose cutter is something that everyone can use constantly. To try to come up with an invention and produce it to give to supporters in my opinion is frivolous----- and a poor expenditure of peoples time and expertise. At this time people need cnc and machining experience--a few flashlights could be purchased immediately to test the concept. thanks thats all for now Jeff Cuneo
04-20-2016, 08:22 PM,
RE: ideas for supporters and other things
Do you have a name or a link for the flashlight you're referring to? I'd like to check it out - tried a search, but not sure if what I'm finding is what you're talking about.

As far as engraving with the mill as a beginner project, I think it's brilliant. When I helped lead a 3d printing camp for 4th-6th graders last summer, that was the first project we worked on - making a keychain with the kids' names raised/extruded above the shape of the keychain. Super simple, surprisingly satisfying.

And speaking of your new job - how unreasonable would it be for me to ask you to take some pictures of the facility and equipment? I'm really curious about their operation, if they'd let you show it off...
04-22-2016, 05:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016, 05:30 PM by Jeff Cuneo.)
(04-20-2016, 08:22 PM)david tremaine Wrote: Do you have a name or a link for the flashlight you're referring to? I'd like to check it out - tried a search, but not sure if what I'm finding is what you're talking about.

As far as engraving with the mill as a beginner project, I think it's brilliant. When I helped lead a 3d printing camp for 4th-6th graders last summer, that was the first project we worked on - making a keychain with the kids' names raised/extruded above the shape of the keychain. Super simple, surprisingly satisfying.

And speaking of your new job - how unreasonable would it be for me to ask you to take some pictures of the facility and equipment? I'm really curious about their operation, if they'd let you show it off...

(04-22-2016, 05:27 PM)Jeff Cuneo Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 08:22 PM)david tremaine Wrote: Do you have a name or a link for the flashlight you're referring to? I'd like to check it out - tried a search, but not sure if what I'm finding is what you're talking about.

Hi David im trying to figure out the reply thing. I posted the photo to show the concept of the light but of course I simply placed the logo. The actual engraving would be only bright lines of the logo and "thank-you for supporting"--or something like that. There is the websight for prototech and a pretty good kxly video of the owner being interviewed however being prototypes many military--No photos or videos can be taken nor can I discuss what I work on.--I signed multiple forms.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

04-23-2016, 06:54 AM,
If that's anodized aluminum, the laser engraver/cutter would do a fantastic job of putting logo's and thank you's on it.