Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry-Erase Plotter
04-27-2016, 07:18 PM,
Dry-Erase Plotter
Gang,

I'm inspired to try and build something that moves...I've recently come into the possession of some new (to me) whiteboards...I don't have them in front of me at the moment, but they're big...possibly as big as the one on wheels at SC.

So, I'd like to build a 3-axis plotter to have an Arduino or Microchip (and probably a PC) draw on the white-board.

I'm comletely ignorant of things that move...I'm *thinking* I'll need linear-bearings (like the big delta printer) and two (maybe 3 stepper motors)...and then a servo for the Z-axis (Pen up, pen down).

I've seen Whiteboard "plotter" set-ups with just two motors hanging above the whiteboard, dangling the pen on two strings...I'm not interested in that, as it seems slow, and not as accurate. I'd also like to avoid a screw-drive, and go with belt...as it seems faster.

Oh, and I'd like to keep this under $100 if at all possible.

Am I completely off my rocker here?

I know you all have lots of experience with CNC tables, 3D printers, so I'm hoping you all might have some insight.

Thanks!

Brendan
04-27-2016, 09:36 PM,
RE: Dry-Erase Plotter
I don't know that you can manage sub-$100, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Easiest/cheapest would probably be a RAMPS setup (arduino, shield, drivers) and will start at about $20 on eBay, and NEMA17s start around $10 each. Servo ~$5. Power supply would be cheapish. Nearly any 7+A 12V supply should work. Rails, bearings, and hardware will be more but that depends on your design. Linear bearings are the very expensive way to go; look at the Kossel design (3D printer) to use regular bearings on a carriage for something cheaper.
04-28-2016, 11:09 AM,
(04-27-2016, 09:36 PM)ABearden Wrote: I don't know that you can manage sub-$100, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Easiest/cheapest would probably be a RAMPS setup (arduino, shield, drivers) and will start at about $20 on eBay, and NEMA17s start around $10 each. Servo ~$5. Power supply would be cheapish. Nearly any 7+A 12V supply should work. Rails, bearings, and hardware will be more but that depends on your design. Linear bearings are the very expensive way to go; look at the Kossel design (3D printer) to use regular bearings on a carriage for something cheaper.

This is perfect; thanks!

Brendan
05-02-2016, 03:26 PM,
This might be a perfect application for a makerslide?
https://www.inventables.com/technologies/makerslide
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
05-03-2016, 04:51 PM,
(05-02-2016, 03:26 PM)Dan Wrote: This might be a perfect application for a makerslide?

It's awesome, but it's also expensive. 12' (3x1200mm) of 20x20 extrusion is ~$40 shipped on Amazon. 12' (2x1800mm) sections of makerslide cost ~$70+shipping due to almost double the aluminum in it (40x20). Depends on the forces you plan on dealing with.
11-04-2016, 07:42 PM,
(05-03-2016, 04:51 PM)ABearden Wrote:
(05-02-2016, 03:26 PM)Dan Wrote: This might be a perfect application for a makerslide?

It's awesome, but it's also expensive. 12' (3x1200mm) of 20x20 extrusion is ~$40 shipped on Amazon. 12' (2x1800mm) sections of makerslide cost ~$70+shipping due to almost double the aluminum in it (40x20). Depends on the forces you plan on dealing with.

Misumi extruded aluminum is an inexpensive way to go, an arduino and a two stepper shield, and a servo to lift the pen. or you can look at plotters on chains, 3d print the parts and get in for under 50 bucks.
Troy Coon
Lead Geek
GeeksOK.com
11-07-2016, 02:39 PM,
Plotters on chains are interesting. I saw the Kickstarter for the plywood router (Plywood Router), but a pen wouldn't suffer from the problems a bit moving through material would so it's much more applicable. Would be cool to watch.

Hey Brendan, how's this project coming? Any updates?
11-09-2016, 06:58 PM,
(11-07-2016, 02:39 PM)ABearden Wrote: Plotters on chains are interesting. I saw the Kickstarter for the plywood router (Plywood Router), but a pen wouldn't suffer from the problems a bit moving through material would so it's much more applicable. Would be cool to watch.

Hey Brendan, how's this project coming? Any updates?

Haven't progressed...my garage was built this year, so I've been spending my weekends building benches, shelves, etc. All of that is done now...so I'm trying to get back to Spokane Create with Natalie...we were there the weekend before last...will try to make it this Saturday as well.
11-10-2016, 11:59 AM,

CoreXY is fun to figure out with all the belts.

Or I like the simplicity of this design

http://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/846
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad

11-12-2016, 08:36 AM,
That axidraw looks nice!