Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Hello World" for CNC Milling
10-05-2017, 12:55 PM,
"Hello World" for CNC Milling
Hi guys, I just started...came in to the shop the last few weeks.

I have a woodworking project in mind, but ever since I saw the CNCs I've been really excited about that.  I've never had an opportunity to use one before.

So, I was hoping I could connect with someone who has some machining experience who could teach me some things.  I've started drawing my first project out in Fusion 360, and figured the body of that project would be an excellent intro to milling for me, as essentially it's just a block of mild steel with a pocket feature.

Any guidance I can get I would really appreciate!
10-05-2017, 03:45 PM,
RE: "Hello World" for CNC Milling
Hi Antipode, welcome to Create!. We are using VCarve Pro for drawing and tool path generation. We have a Maker Space license for VCarve so you are able to download the trail version and next time you visit Create will give you our Maker Space Code so you can use VCarve on our machine. Here's the link for the download:

http://www.vectric.com/products/vcarve/trial.html

There are also many great tutorials on the Vectric site to learn how to use VCarve for design.

See ya next Wednesday, John
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad

12-02-2017, 09:33 PM,
Am I missing something or does the trail not allow you to import files?
12-05-2017, 07:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2017, 09:04 PM by IdeaMakers.)
Using the Trail version of VCarve that is registered with the SC maker space license I am able to import dxf, stl and image files. The trail version that is using our maker space license will have "VCarve Pro Makerspace Client" in the top left corner of the program window. If you don't have the license you'll need to stop in to SC, we don't like to give it out online.
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad