Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quarantine Project: Garden Tower
07-08-2020, 08:30 PM,
RE: Quarantine Project: Garden Tower
Thanks for sharing, guys. Arthur, I'd love to see pics of your setup! John - looks pretty slick. What was the inspiration? Do you only have the one square foot in your back yard that gets sun all day?

Mine's a long shot: I've been planning a small house: octagon-shaped, ~20' across internally from flat to flat, two stories (floor level and loft), 8' deep sitting/project porch around the outside (so total of 38' across including 1' thick walls - maybe not so small?), built with simple 4x4 and 2x6 internal frame and clad with (here's the longshot) SIPs constructed of OSB sandwiching 11" of mycelium insulation (shredded straw innoculated with turkey tail or reishi, then dehydrated and pasteurized or vice versa).
Doing research and experimenting currently with oyster mushroom (spent-grain spawn bags are showing signs of life and smelling good; should be ready to innoculate straw in 7-10 days), but Ecovative's mycologist-in-chief says that polypore mycelium is significantly stronger (haven't been able to relocate that citation). Turkey tail and reishi liquid cultures are on their way. 

I keep playing with the design - here's the evolution so far from left to right (sorry, probably not real understandable). Trying to build around standard lumber and sheet sizes, easy angles, and to (ideally) be able to grow the SIP's within the plastic-wrapped wood frame throughout the summer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Quarantine Project: Garden Tower - by IdeaMakers - 07-08-2020, 12:37 PM
RE: Quarantine Project: Garden Tower - by david tremaine - 07-08-2020, 08:30 PM
RE: Quarantine Project: Garden Tower - by shovel - 09-16-2020, 07:23 AM