Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What projects are you working on
05-31-2021, 12:50 PM,
RE: What projects are you working on
(05-31-2021, 11:10 AM)gegrez Wrote: Hello - I'm new and hoping to use the drill press for wood steps on a cat spiral staircase. Thank you!

Welcome gegrez,
Come down during open hours Wed 5:30p-8:30p. We will get a waiver signed and then you can use the equipment.
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"
05-31-2021, 01:45 PM,
(05-31-2021, 12:50 PM)n8cutler Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 11:10 AM)gegrez Wrote: Hello - I'm new and hoping to use the drill press for wood steps on a cat spiral staircase. Thank you!

Welcome gegrez,
Come down during open hours Wed 5:30p-8:30p. We will get a waiver signed and then you can use the equipment.

Looking forward to it.
09-27-2021, 07:00 AM,
(05-31-2021, 01:45 PM)gegrez Wrote: Hello - I'm new and hoping to use the drill press for wood steps on a cat spiral staircase. Thank you!

Have any work in progress or finished photos? Would be neat to see!
11-03-2021, 07:56 PM,
I picked up a neglected Mustang this summer to do a little restoration on and enjoy,  most of the work hasn't exactly been creation just repair and un-f** ..  but I did get started on this little project the past couple days.  

Should be obvious that it's still in the early construction stage but it's taking shape.  Sanding and staining and shellac to follow.  

This will be a wooden floor for the trunk of the car,  since there is no spare tire down there to support articles carried in the trunk and the carpet was pretty much unrecoverably gross anyway.
03-10-2022, 05:51 PM,
I'm working on a project that would download mp3's from an RSS feed and transcribe the audio from those mp3's into a large JSON file. Or you can take a YouTube channel url and download all the vtt files that YouTube already has and convert them to text files. 

I still need to figure out how to convert those text files into JSON as well.

Converting them to JSON is important for speedy indexing when it gets uploaded to a postgresql database. 

I think I'm right with the steps involved but id love someone with more experience coding to give me some pointers.

The GitHub for the project is here, https://github.com/claudchereji/PodSearch

It's still very much a work in progress.
03-12-2022, 12:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2022, 12:10 PM by ABearden.)
(03-10-2022, 05:51 PM)Claud Wrote: I'm working on a project that would download mp3's from an RSS feed and transcribe the audio from those mp3's into a large JSON file. Or you can take a YouTube channel url and download all the vtt files that YouTube already has and convert them to text files. 

I still need to figure out how to convert those text files into JSON as well.

Converting them to JSON is important for speedy indexing when it gets uploaded to a postgresql database. 

I think I'm right with the steps involved but id love someone with more experience coding to give me some pointers.

The GitHub for the project is here, https://github.com/claudchereji/PodSearch

It's still very much a work in progress.

I'm curious how the JSON is connected to database indexing. I would think raw data would be more efficient, but I'm not heavily involved in Postgre. In either case, VTT files are already text files.

Also, the conversion to JSON entirely depends on how you will be using it. For example, if you have a VTT file that could convert to something like this with extra metadata:

Code:
{
   "title": "Introduction",
   "url": "http://youtu.be/gwrg832j2",
   "captions":
       [
           {
               "timestamp": "00:00:15.000 --> 00:00:18.200",
               "align": "middle",
               "text": "Hi Makerspace, I'm Claud."
           },
           {
               "timestamp": "00:00:19.300 --> 00:00:21.600",
               "align": "middle",
               "text": "Today we're building a VTT to JSON converter."
           }
       ]
}

For a search engine, how you store the data will be heavily influenced by the algorithm you're using. My experience with writing search engines is a bit old, but my first instinct would be to separate the individual captions into their own table and precompile individual word scores that are well indexed.
03-13-2022, 06:44 PM,
I've been "following," and I'll use the word loosely cause its not an indepth tutorial but it's a video on YouTube by kalle hallden about making a Google for Joe Rogan. https://youtu.be/UUnAcrzA0nA

Basically everything he's done in that video is my only point of reference as to how to build this project.

Also, your code example would work perfectly for hyperlinking to specific sentences, my only issue is writing the algorithm that would format the vtt file as such. Unless I can skip any conversion process all together and simply have the raw vtt files be searchable. I'm just unsure of how to get the same formatting that a JSON file can give, but to get that with vtt or txt. That's why the conversion seems important to me. But like I said, it's a little out of my wheelhouse which isn't very large in the first place lol
03-14-2022, 01:25 PM,
(03-13-2022, 06:44 PM)Claud Wrote: I've been "following," and I'll use the word loosely cause its not an indepth tutorial but it's a video on YouTube by kalle hallden about making a Google for Joe Rogan. https://youtu.be/UUnAcrzA0nA

Basically everything he's done in that video is my only point of reference as to how to build this project.

Also, your code example would work perfectly for hyperlinking to specific sentences, my only issue is writing the algorithm that would format the vtt file as such. Unless I can skip any conversion process all together and simply have the raw vtt files be searchable. I'm just unsure of how to get the same formatting that a JSON file can give, but to get that with vtt or txt. That's why the conversion seems important to me. But like I said, it's a little out of my wheelhouse which isn't very large in the first place lol

JSON, VTT, the database won't care: it's all text. Some database engines are JSON aware and allow for access to the contained structure, but that's typically slower than raw table access. But if you're storing a bunch of text files in a column, "WHERE transcription LIKE '%UFO%' " will still return all the rows that contain the search text regardless of what format it's in. You could just dump each video into the table with columns like ID, url, name, and transcription and get something super basic going. If you have a mixture of JSON and VTT files, you could even do two columns: fileType and fileContents. Then you just search the file contents and any further processing can reference the fileType so it knows what to expect.

There's a lot you can do with pre-processing the text to get word scores and rank by relevance, but that's the next tier up of development effort.
03-14-2022, 06:55 PM,
We need to talk more in person because my understanding of the topic is running thin with all the things you're bringing up lol you're very knowledgeable.
03-17-2022, 02:32 AM,
(03-14-2022, 06:55 PM)Claud Wrote: We need to talk more in person because my understanding of the topic is running thin with all the things you're bringing up lol you're very knowledgeable.

I haven't been to the makerspace in years. Life got busy and hasn't let up. I might have to make time again.

Thanks, I would hope something stuck after years of playing with tech. Big Grin I know there are at least a few down there with similar experience.