Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wax stamp
04-18-2013, 09:28 PM,
Wax stamp
Awhile ago I had an interest to build a monogram wax stamp.

I drew it up with my initials and the hackaday logo quite some time ago, I never took the time to cut it so I played with it tonight to see roughly what it would look like.
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/9Cdo3E2k7f0[/video]

I just took a scrap of aluminum I had and cut it, but I didn't have the right size cutter for the original design (1/32 end mill... tiny)
[Image: BRAiCIal.jpg]

I left it in the scrap metal, and melted some wax, and this is what I got:
[Image: 4Upnma0l.jpg]
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
04-19-2013, 02:01 PM,
RE: Wax stamp
Is that the mill you put motors on? That's pretty cool. Now we need to come up with a logo and we can seal our letters with it.
04-19-2013, 03:00 PM,
Yea, I guess I never did post anything about what it is.
its a taig mill
[Image: crmill1.JPG]

It is cnc controlled via EMC2 (linuxCNC) and Gecko stepper drivers.

I will post some pics and other info about it later. If anybody wants anything cut on it, just let me know
-Dan

04-19-2013, 06:08 PM,
Did you cut that with a 1/32 or wanted to use a 1/32. Looks nice either way. I've just received some 60 degree V bits for engraving Al but haven't had a chance to use them yet.
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad

04-19-2013, 07:13 PM,
now that I go back and look at the toolpath I did design it for 1/32, and I did use a 1/32 end mill.

so I think problem is that I need to change the size of the islands to make them large enough to stay intact
-Dan

05-03-2013, 02:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM by Mawson.)
Cool stuff! Great to see we have CNC already! I've got a few projects in mind that will need quite a bit of machining on that scale. How precise is it?

We (my family) has a bunch of wax seals around our place from years ago, I'd be interested in making a custom one for my slef, since I never got a seal I liked. We also did some stamp cutting back then too.