Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenhouse
05-29-2013, 09:45 PM,
Greenhouse
I almost finished my greenhouse --

Here is a tour : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...QOunTHj_zU

The Arduino is doing the thermostat work now for the underground heater. I plan a rube-goldberg contraption to open and close the vents. I also plan to use the arduino to read several other sensors and send a serial signal to a Raspberry Pi that will store the data and serve up web pages to control the whole thing.. I am also hoping to use the historical data to build a model so that the greenhouse can best plan to optimally use it's control variables to reduce the chances of bad things happening. The Pi can also fetch weather reports and plan accordingly..

Endless possibilities to play with...
05-30-2013, 06:26 AM,
RE: Greenhouse
(05-29-2013, 09:45 PM)jrieghley Wrote: I almost finished my greenhouse --

Looks awesome! I can't wait to seethe entire setup when you have it dialed in.
-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
05-30-2013, 07:48 AM,
That looks fantastic! I love the idea of using geothermal cooling. Great idea. How deep did you bury the tubing? Do you plan on using it to warm it as well?
05-30-2013, 08:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2013, 08:03 AM by jrieghley.)
(05-30-2013, 07:48 AM)Pete Wrote: That looks fantastic! I love the idea of using geothermal cooling. Great idea. How deep did you bury the tubing? Do you plan on using it to warm it as well?

I only dug down about 4 feet. From what I read, that should be adequate so long as I insulate around the foundation.. (I haven't done that yet)

I believe it works for heating as well, but not nearly as well.. When you take hot humid air and cool it below it's dew point, it has to spurt out it's moisture, and a sizable amount of the heat stays with the moisture, not the air. Heating is just a straight heat transfer, so it doesn't get that added boost. It does benefit from extra warm soil - as the summer heat will be stored up by the cooling process underground.. I still suspect it will work, but I wouldn't be surprised if I need to supplement it some more if I want to go all winter.

Good excuse to build a rocket mass heater anyway ;-)
05-30-2013, 08:12 AM,
I'll have to research rocket mass heaters Smile
I have a special place in my heart for green houses and green house technology, and I'm interested in what you're working on. I also have a project I'm working on, but I won't steal your thunder here Smile I'll write it up in a separate post.
05-30-2013, 08:29 AM,
This is very cool! I would very much like to get sensors and a control station set up in my greenhouse as well. Is your end goal with the project to garden all year round?
05-30-2013, 09:25 AM,
I would like the greenhouse to make gardening possible for as much of the year as is feasible in Spokane.

I suspect my main "Goal" however was to have a platform to tinker with.. For me, The problem solving is a lot more fun than the problem itself.. I hope to have the arduino/pi doing most of the "Gardening" along with my wife and kids..

Left on the agenda so far

Door.

Install additional temp sensors - one underground to measure the heat sink.. one to measure outside temp - one to measure Aquaponics tank temp.. I am using the $1.50 ones from Sparkfun.. Each uses one analog input on the Arduino.

Humidity sensor (haven't ordered one yet)

Vent controls. My crazy plan here is to weight the windows to naturally want to swing open. I will use a counterweight to hold them closed.. When it gets too hot or humid, I am going to use a servo to redirect already pumping water into a upside down bottle with a slow leak to provide a counterweight to the counterweight, causing the windows to open. when it cools enough I will redirect the flow bypassing the bottle, the bottle will leak it's weight out and the windows should close again..

Photo-sensor -- would like to be able to guess how much light the plants have been getting - weather it is overcast etc.. Perhaps trigger on supplemental lighting to compensate for short days or clouds.

Rasbperry pi -- I plan to hook to the arduino via USB cable and have it query for a listing of the variables every 6 minute or so -- should be able to build graphs and correlations etc from the compiled data. I pan to build a web interface so I can look at a glance and see what the greenhouse is doing...
09-13-2013, 05:24 AM,
Well done dude look awesome!So please share me more pics about it buddy??????????you can do it dude?SmileSmileSmileSo i am very excited to see that you have lot of knowledge about it and if any body wants to share any information about it then please share me dude?