Please visit the homepage for location and information on open hours

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal Casting Workshop
10-29-2016, 06:57 AM,
RE: Metal Casting Workshop
Hi Jeff, sorry for the bad news. We'll be offering the class again. Travel safe and our thoughts for you.
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad

10-30-2016, 11:26 AM,
Photos from workshop
Hi team,

I took a bunch of pictures yesterday (and I think Amy and John Mark got a few, too). Sadly, I neglected to take pictures of the finished castings. Only a few turned out (at least, that I saw) as recognizable objects, due to an issue with the casting sand that John Woj hadn't seen before (too much moisture?) but the ones that came out were awesome. The jack-o-lantern seemed to be the favorite, and they were beautiful, shiny, smooth, and very organic. Maybe it was the sand issue, maybe imperfect pouring - I don't know what, but imagine if you took a plain CNC-routed flat carved pumpkin image and breathed some kind of sinister life-force into it. They had ripples, flow marks, texture that reminded me a little of blood and guts. The ones you see in the photos I took don't quite capture this - they came out too clean (nothing wrong with that, I guess). Please post yours if you took one home!

Anyway, here's a link to my raw, unedited shots (and a couple of videos - one of a pour, the other of flickering oxide rainbows at the vent hole on John's propane foundry).

I'll clean some up for use on the site, but feel free to see if there are any you want to mess with.
https://goo.gl/photos/xzZ4MnYs8BSGBsim8
10-30-2016, 08:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2016, 08:46 PM by n8cutler.)
David, those are great! Looks like a good class.  It's nice to see a face or two there that I haven't seen in a while. Thanks for taking the pics.  I'm looking forward to seeing more shots of finished parts from others.
-N8

"I built it because I didn't know I couldn't"
11-01-2016, 09:52 AM,
Can we get a link to the guy that John mentioned as being in the area that specialized in casting, etc? I forgot to grab a business card.
11-01-2016, 07:45 PM,
Here is the card

-Dan

"If you didn't build it, you will never own it." - Barton Dring
11-02-2016, 09:07 AM,
Excellent, thank you!
11-02-2016, 03:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-02-2016, 03:32 PM by IdeaMakers.)
Lost and Foundry is the local business that has supplies on Spokane's northside. Steve is the owner and makes the propane furnace seen in some of the photos above as well as having crucibles and green sand.

Email: castingcowboy(at)foundry101(dot)com
[url=http://foundry101.com/][/url]
John Woj
IdeaMakers Designs, LLC
"I'm on the the verge of something" Breaking Bad